Help with upgrade to DSLR camera.
May 15, 2005 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
I owned my panasonic FZ-20 for 2 months and I've decided I'd like to make the move to a DSLR camera. I've been looking at 3 main cameras; canon digital rebel, digital rebel xt, or nikon D70.

My budget is about 1000 total for everything I need including a memory card. I'm leaning towards the rebel xt with kit lense and a 512 mb cf card. The D70 is also about the same price and also looks tempting. Or I could buy the digital rebel and get more accessories with it.

I use my camera to shoot scenery on trips and vacations as well as indoor shots with families, concerts, and indoor/outdoor sports. I'm looking for something that will perform well in lower light conditions.

May 15, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 16
Rebel XT is the best performer of those you listed, it's nearly identical to the more expensive 20D with a lower price tag. It's even smaller and lighter than the old Rebel, which was already lighter than compeditors. The only downside to this is it's made of plastic, and might not fare as well as something like the D70 if dropped from a decent height.

I'd recommend the Rebel XT hands down, unless you're really planning on beating it up and need a metal body.

You can get GREAT deals on these cameras (WAY below your $1000 mark), check out www.fatwallet.com and search/monitor the "hot deals" forums for Rebel XT deals - they come up often.

-dd3mon

May 16, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 16
I have made my decision to go with the Rebel XT. I need to sell off my fz-20 first before I can purchase the new camera. Does anyone else here have experience with the rebel xt or even the rebel? How was the switch from a point and shoot to a dslr? Were you impress or disappointed?

May 16, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 16
I have the original Rebel. I came from a pretty good consumer point and shoot (Sony P9) and just wanted something a little more sophisticated to make photography into more of a hobby. I'm pretty pleased with it - what can I say, it's a whole different ballgame. Kind of like riding a scooter then finally buying a real motorcycle.

(Oh, I have to show off my Chord photos again
icon10.gif
- Okay, just one.)

chord1.jpg

I wouldn't be quick to sell off any point and shoots you have. The DSLR is a lot more work, and it's not like I can toss it into my bag for casual day trips or office parties.

The XT looks like a great product. I'm still bewildered by 90% of the functions on my Rebel. I dunno if I'll ever outgrow it, as I'm still not a serious photographer by any stretch of the imagination.

Get a good tripod.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: I looked up the Panasonic you have - looks like far more serious of a camera than my Sony P9, so I'm guessing you're more proficient at this stuff than I am!

May 16, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 16
I have had a Canon Elan IIe, an EOS 3, and now I have a 20D. I have to say I have been extremely happy with all of them. A friend of mine started his foray into the DSLR world with the Rebel and he was very happy. The Rebel is not a bad body at all.

Looking back, the advice I would give anyone just starting is spend the money on a good lens or two before going nuts on the body. Good glass lasts forever, the bodies get updated fairly frequently.

I have had good luck with B&H Photo, Onecall, and Adorama. Onecall is especially good because they will price match. In the past, if Onecall isn't the cheapest I just search until I find someplace then call them because I trust them. Although most of the time their prices are pretty competitive.

Good luck!

May 16, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 16
I have a 10D and have been very happy with it. It was my first canon, after many years working in the Nikon, for 35mm. I can't say a bad thing about the 10D. I have shot tens of thousands of shots and it has been without a problem. It seems to want to underexpose in certain situations, but I carry a hand meter anyways.

May 16, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 16
On important thing to remember is the lenses.

You are buying into a system. The lenses will far outlast the body.

As much as I like Pentax lenses, Pentax has made some real bone-headed moves lately.

If it wasn't for the crappy viewfinders in both the Digital Rebels, I would've probably ended up with Canon.

But I grew up on an old Pentax K1000, so that familiarity had me gravitating towards a Pentax. That, and I liked the "feel" of the Pentax *ist DS.

Each body has it's pros and cons. I compared the Pentax *ist DS with the Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) extensively.

Impressions so far:

Pentax *ist DS

Pros: Small, comfortable grip(I like the rubberized grip). Large and bright viewfinder, can actually see what I'm focusing on. Logical menu layout. Built like a tank, very solid feel. (has steel frame) Pentax's extreme backwards compatibility (can use lenses as far back as 1975!) Uses AA batteries or CR-V3's. (this can be a Pro or Con, depending on the person, it's a Pro for me.)

Cons: Somewhat slow autofocus. In camera JPG processing is lacking a bit. (not much of an issue for me when I shoot RAW). Lack of prime lenses, I managed to snag two FA 50mm 1.4's before they were discontinued.

Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)

Pros: Small and lightweight (relatively speaking). Very fast autofocus, even with non USM lenses. Uses the same LiON battery pack that many other Canon Powershot cameras use. Huge variety of modern lenses from Canon. Excellent in camera JPG processing. Very fast image processing.

Cons: Viewfinder is small and dark, difficult to see whether or not in focus, especially if you are a glasses wearer. Better lenses are very expensive. (but at least they are available.) Menu is a bit cumbersome to go through.
Grip is almost a joke. I don't even have big hands, but it just feels cheap, and not comfortable.

So in the end it came down to the viewfinder. Because I do a lot of manual focusing, I opted for the Pentax. If I were to use a DSLR more like a Point and Shoot, then I probably would've opted for the Canon 350D.

Now if the the 350D had the 20D's viewfinder prism, I may very well have ended up with the Digital Rebel XT. But in the end, IMO, the Digital Rebels sacrifice a part that is one of the #1 reasons for using an SLR.
The viewfinder.

-Ed

May 16, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 16
Whichever camera you choose (my vote goes to the rebel or rebel XT) , make sure you familiarize yourself with the forums at www.fredmiranda.com and www.dpreview.com

The Fred Miranda site has a VERY busy Buy/Sell forum and is a sweet spot to look for inexpensive used lenses that you can learn from before you shell out big $$ for a new lens only to find out it doesn't do what you want/need for it to do.

The DPReview site is really good with camera-specific info and tips on accessories.

Regardless, good luck

May 17, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Another vote for the Digital Rebel XT !!
biggrin.gif

Absolutely love it.. Although the only thing I don't *love* about it is how the frame always appears bigger on the actual picture (than what you're seeing from looking through the camera). But (viva digital age!) you can always crop & such on the computer.. Better to take _bigger_ frame than a smaller one, eh?
wink.gif

FYI, I've played a bit with the D70. I gotta say, I really liked both cameras approximately the same.. But preffered Digital Rebel XT down the road. It might be because I've got something against Nikon though
wink.gif
(Had some problems with a previous camera from them...)

May 17, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 16
go canon, i love my 1D and wouldent trade it for anything...

you cant do this with a point and shoot
wink.gif

E5DD8859big.jpg

E5DD8072t_big.jpg

E5DD8080t_big.jpg

just remember, you are going to spend more money on lenses than the camera if you want a good setup

May 17, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 16
My rebel xt kit should be comming wednesday along with a 512mb cf card. I will try that out and let you guys know how I like it, then I will decide what lens I am going to buy next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back