Help with understanding driver polarity. (noob questions)
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Atomicus88

New Head-Fier
Hello! I have recently re-drivered a pair of Realistic Nova 30s. Unfourtunatley the drivers I put in had un-marked terminals. I ended up just soldiering them without checking the polarity, and now there is very little bass performance. My question is, is the lack of bass because I reversed the poles? Or is the lack of bass becase of the drivers/acoustics? Another question, I know that reversing the poles on multi-speaker per channel systems will cause reduced bass performance. Is this the same with single speaker per channel setups, like headphones? Thanks for any replies.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think you'll notice drivers being out of phase in headphones nearly as much as you would with speakers, as there wont be any cancellation effects from the two sound sources interfering with eachother. It might sound "off", but I don't believe it would reduce the bass output specifically.

Are these dynamic drivers? If you apply a DC voltage across the driver and note whether the voicecoil moves out or in....you can figure out how to wire them in phase.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply, and I have a better understanding of what might have been going wrong, as I ended up re-wiring them in reverse to see what would happen, and it seemed to fix most of my problems. It was probably just a poor job soldering them in place the first time, as I haven't used an iron in a while.
tongue.gif
The the bass is still a bit quiet, but the rest seems to be fine. I think it might just be the acoustics of the cups/pads. To answer your question, yes they are dynamic and next time I will try putting a voltage through the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back