help with ultrasone models
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

std5501

New Head-Fier
Ima basshead and I'm set on a set of ultrasones, I want the pro's mainly because of the removalable cords and case but was also looking at the hfi series. I was looking at the pro 550 and 750 along with the hfi 580. Which would be best for rap and dubstep? Thanks

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Ima basshead and I'm set on a set of ultrasones, I want the pro's mainly because of the removalable cords and case but was also looking at the hfi series. I was looking at the pro 550 and 750 along with the hfi 580. Which would be best for rap and dubstep? Thanks

Heya,

The models are actually quite similar, but there are some differences. The similarities are that almost all Ultrasones are pretty bright on the treble, and tend to have fairly powerful bass. The open air variants have smoother treble.

PRO 550 - More neutral compared to the other upper PRO models. Less prominent bass.
PRO 650 - Neutralish with better sub-bass, calmer treble too.
PRO 750 - More bass, more treble.
PRO 900 - All bass, all treble. Subwhoofers with spikes.

The HFI series are pretty similar, but I for one don't like their cups. I like the velour cups of the upper PRO series and the depth of the cups too. The HFI 580 & 780 have pretty powerful bass, but have differing treble, the 780 being a little calmer with that.

I'd put you on the PRO 750 overall, or the HFI 780 in that range. Or if you want some open air headphones, the HFI 2400 would be great.

Very best,

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 17
The Pro 900's treble smooths out after the first 100 hours of burn-in, while maintaining the very present bass with its signature bass quantity AND quality. For bassheads that look for plenty of bass with quality, there are very little other options that reach the levels of the Pro 900. But that depends on how far can you stretch your budget.

A popular cheaper alternative to the Pro 900 are the HFI-580.

EDIT: Those headphones don't absolutely need additional amping, but do benefit from it and scale quite well with better amping.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
the hfi 780 sounds like what im looking for I don't like harsh treble. Does it need to be amped? Thanks

If you are really sensitive to strong treble you'd probably want to stay away from most Ultrasones altogether, but especially the Pro 900 and HFI-780.  I don't personally find them harsh, but they are very bright and aggressive.  I tend to like that sort of sound (I also like Grados, for example), but some people find them too piercing, and I suspect you could be one of them.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 17
I'd like to have the pro 900's but idk if I wanna invest that kind of money into a set of cans. Would the beyer dt770 or denon d2000 be ne better in the bass department than the ultrasones? Ultrasones kinda what I'm set on but if there's something better for the price I'd change my mind. And thanks for the help guys.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
I'd like to have the pro 900's but idk if I wanna invest that kind of money into a set of cans. Would the beyer dt770 or denon d2000 be ne better in the bass department than the ultrasones? Ultrasones kinda what I'm set on but if there's something better for the price I'd change my mind. And thanks for the help guys.

Heya,

I much prefer the Denon sound for bass, and in general, than Beyer & Ultrasone's approach. And I have all of them. I ended up starting with Beyer, went to Ultrasone and ended up with Denon. Ultimately what the difference was, was sub-bass presence while maintaining excellent mids and treble without being overly bright/forward/sibilant. And Denon simply did it superbly. I find the DT770 and PRO900 for example to have too much mid-bass hump and are a little more bright in treble (the PRO900 being the brightest of the two to me, while also having the hugest mid-bass hump too). I like the linear response of the Denon, making it excellent for everything, and you're not missing out on mids or hearing overly colored sound the way you do from a typical "V" response headphone like the DT770 and PRO900. Instead, it's linear, everything the same volume and presence, and it extends down to 30hz. That's where the Denon magic hits. You hear everything yet you still get that huge 30hz~50hz tone that is so well controlled and rich, making it a wonderful bass experience. I highly prefer it myself and have resolved to becoming simply a huge fan of Denon for closed back headphones, after having many of the alternatives.

The Denon D2000 would be where I'd suggest you go, over Ultrasone. The D5000 for a tad more, and very much worth it. The D5000 is far and away my favorite bassy closed back headphone (great mids, smooth treble, incredible bass, such a great listen).

Very best,

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

It's unlikely that you'll find the DT770 or the D2000 to please you more in the bass department. While I haven't listened to the DT770 yet, they're reported to have a relatively muddy bass, while the D2000 have a more balanced and higher quality bass, yet still softer hitting than the Pro 900, which are far less bright as burn in settles.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

It depends on what kind of bass you're looking for.  The Pro 900 has an extremely fast, powerful, punchy, mid-bass oriented sound.  It pounds out rapid DnB tracks or modern metal with double bass like none other.  The DT-770 has a slower, boomy sort of bass that digs deep, rumbles and shakes the foundations of the earth.  It is fantastic for slower genres like hip-hop, trip-hop, and some dubstep, but is too slow and laid-back for really energetic music.  The D5000 (which should be quite similar to the D2000) is a middle ground between the two, with a fairly even bass response all the way down to the limits of human hearing.  It doesn't have the energy and impact of the Pro 900, but isn't as relaxing and "lazy" as the DT-770.  If you're unsure, the Denon may be a better bet, as it is overall more versatile than the others, and is not quite as polarizing as the others.  The other two are more specific tools, whereas the Denon is more of a high-quality Swiss army knife.

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:

If you are really sensitive to strong treble you'd probably want to stay away from most Ultrasones altogether,

I totally agree. I would never suggest any Ultrasone (I own/have owned Zino, HFI 580, HFI 2200, HFI 2400, Pro 550, Pro 650, Pro 750, Pro 900) model to someone who states he doesn't like harsh treble.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 17
I really like the denons after giving em a look, a 10ft cord tho!!That's so long haha I've tried the at m50s the denons will be bassier than that right? If so I think I know what ima get

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I really like the denons after giving em a look, a 10ft cord tho!!That's so long haha I've tried the at m50s the denons will be bassier than that right? If so I think I know what ima get

I know that you could get your headphones recabled but you should be able to choose the length of the stock cable on whatever headphones you buy. Also, you should be able to choose if you want a 3.5 or 6.3 mm plug on the end.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I know that you could get your headphones recabled but you should be able to choose the length of the stock cable on whatever headphones you buy. Also, you should be able to choose if you want a 3.5 or 6.3 mm plug on the end.

I agree, especially with the termination size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back