Help with this stereo setup, please.
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

badpenny

100+ Head-Fier
I need a Mid-Fi stereo setup for my computer / turntable. For mostly music, video editing, and watching movies. After weeks of reading I have come up with this setup.

(MacPro Optical out)
->
(Beresford Mk 6)
->
RCA 1 (Heed) - (701's)
+
RCA 2 (NAD C352)
->
(?phono stage?)
->
(my dual record player)
->
(?stereo speakers that mate well with the C352?)

I don't exactly have a budget... but I don't want to spend an insane amout of money.. but for fun lets say $1000 is my budget for (Integrated Amp, Phono Stage, Speakers)..

Also, what would you suggest for speakers / phono stage

Any input welcome.

Cheers,

Sean.

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 9
As for the speakers, I have decided on Polk RTi6's. Any input would be grand.

Cheers.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the speakers, I have decided on Polk RTi6's. Any input would be grand.

Cheers.

Polk speakers are fun. Try to find a used pair of LSi7's for $200, as for the amp Sansui AU-x17 from the 70's are great integrated and have excellent headphone outs to boot. 717 is my amp 85 watts per channel and it is clean clean power compared to anything under a grand today. Look on craigslist and ebay.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 9
I came across a Sansui AU-517 and it is in great shape for $160 close enough for me to pick it up. Would a pair of LSi7's pair well with 65watts? Or is there a better alternative?

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came across a Sansui AU-517 and it is in great shape for $160 close enough for me to pick it up. Would a pair of LSi7's pair well with 65watts? Or is there a better alternative?

Nice I have had a hell of a time finding any sansui stuff close to me. Just try to haggle the price down but get it regardless. I think they would be pretty happy hooked up to that Sansui's in that time line of amps have very clean power, someday if you really want to splurge you can get the matching tuner or get a tu-717 thats only if you love the radio. I found my LSi7's for $200 so I am sure you can find a similar deal or comparable speakers for the same price range.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Any good places to search for used speakers? For the past while I have been looking around at these sites.

audiogon
canuckaudiomart
here of course
ebay

Know any others?

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 9
I personally like to go to stores in my city, if you don't have that option the only other thing is be patient and vigilant while looking for the items you need.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Just an update... I ended up getting a "Sansui AU-517 ($160 CDN)" and a pair of "Paradigm Mini Monitor v2's ($200 CDN)". Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back