Help with the settings in the sonicfury/santa cruz soundcard control panel..
Aug 1, 2002 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

-spy-

New Head-Fier
I know this is a headphone forum, but a lot of people recommend sonicfuries round here, so i figured it might be the right place to ask.

Im talking about settings for gaming, 3d positional audio for counterstrike. Music is fine, but atm im not liking the positional audio its giving me on my HP890s

Maybe its just cause im used to speakers, but atm i'd take my dodgy $20 speakers over the headphones for positional audio

Anyway
Theres so many settings and crazy stuff
I have no idea about what combination of settings will give me the best positional audio

Which games setting should i use for the GE settings? or should i make my own?
And if so what do i put it on?

What about effects? Any of them work well for cs?

And do i put on 3d stereo enhancement?
take forever to try all the combos myself..

ta

spy

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 7
i have no idea what you're talking about as far as settings go. however, i would look into turning all of that stuff off. positional audio seems like a really dumb idea to me.. yes, i've played plenty of games with it on and off and i've never found it to make some huge dramatic "i am lord of cs" difference. as far as half-life goes, it was always buggy as hell for me and i could never use eax with it, however if i heard a footstep i could hear exactly where anybody was with just the right and left. of course, i do prefer two-channel audio as oppose to run-through-crappy-effects-5.1 that is all the rage these days.

also, stereo imaging is generally a problem with most headphones, especially closed design. this is probably what you're looking for, but i'd really try just using a straight right/left configuration and see if you really need the "positional audio" filter crudding up your signal..

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 7
You will want to go to the effects tab and mute them all. Don't ask me why but the latest WHQL drivers apply a generic static reverb to everything. Doing this won't disable EAX.

Quote:

What about effects? Any of them work well for cs?

No, these are to be used with older titles that lack EAX support and stereo streams.

Quote:

And do i put on 3d stereo enhancement?

If you like all midrange sounds played back by the rear channels...

Aug 1, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Probably heavily off topic, but... the best improvement I made to my SBLive! was to buy my Athlon XP2000+ CPU last weekend, I don't know why... unless there are additional decoding instructions on chip, but the sound ~ extra especially with MP3s is now a LOT clearer (surprisingly so... no SBLive! trademark hiss or anything!!)... and gaming is more 'intimate'

Aug 2, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 7
did you get a new power supply with it? that could've helped.

also, did you reinstall windows? this could have helped as well.

Aug 2, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Me Grinch?

If so, Nope... same old 300w PSU, and... this incarnation of XP has been installed since mid-june

Even now, a week on... things still sound remarkably clearer than normal... GTA3, the MP3s on that game are really listenable... and WMP8 for playing MP3s... I'm sure its a LOT better than WMP7 in any case... but now, this is (almost) sounding like Hi-Fi
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back