Help with the polarity of the UE pro IEMs needed VERY VERY BADLY
Sep 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Andreeww

100+ Head-Fier

I sent my UE 18 pro to remold. The shop that does the remolding says that the polarity is the opposite to what is shown in the picture. However, I sent my stock cable to another cable shop and they say the polarity is as the picture indicates. I ask different remolding shops and they give me different answers. I asked UE's Facebook but the attitude is really f up. I also asked Unique Melody. They have the same type of socket and they say the polarity is the same as the picture. I am really lost and confused. Someone help please.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 10

I tested my ue 18's stock cable. The result is indicated in these two picture. This means, for this cable, positive is at the bottom and negative is at the top. This is also the same as my drawing in my first post. However, the reshelling shop stills says my cable is wrong and he claims that he has ue stock cable that has the opposite polarity. What is going on here? Is it really possible that my cable is wrong? Or does ue have two config for the same socket type?

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't have a ue18, nor do I know about the new socket design...usually that's how it was for CIEM with 2 pin connectors 
Let's see, you tested continuity on the cable and found out that the left and right positive is on the bottom pin.

If so you are right for the cable. and proably right about the original polarity for the 2pin female connector on the shell. 

Who did the reshell for your CIEM? do you have a picture of them? are they transparent?
According to pictures online I can see that on some, the upper wiring is yellow meaning it is the positive, green is negative but I don't know if those are before the new plug as you say.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't have a ue18, nor do I know about the new socket design...usually that's how it was for CIEM with 2 pin connectors 
Let's see, you tested continuity on the cable and found out that the left and right positive is on the bottom pin.

If so you are right for the cable. and proably right about the original polarity for the 2pin female connector on the shell. 

Who did the reshell for your CIEM? do you have a picture of them? are they transparent?
According to pictures online I can see that on some, the upper wiring is yellow meaning it is the positive, green is negative but I don't know if those are before the new plug as you say.

The shop that's reshelling for me is called thousand sound. They are pretty famous in China.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Double check your cable for continuity,  If the cable polarity is still the same and you want to use this cable over ear then make sure the remold shop take this into consideration.
Also you gotta to know that most cable are wired to be used as the top pin positive and bottom pin negative (the color dot is positive).

If the cable is straight then it doesn't matter as you could turn it around to match the upside down polarity of the new plug design as you say.
good luck

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Double check your cable for continuity,  If the cable polarity is still the same and you want to use this cable over ear then make sure the remold shop take this into consideration.
Also you gotta to know that most cable are wired to be used as the top pin positive and bottom pin negative (the color dot is positive).

If the cable is straight then it doesn't matter as you could turn it around to match the upside down polarity of the new plug design as you say.
good luck

I guess my understanding of the wiring is correct. But I don't know what you mean by "cable is straight”.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 10
I know this is a really old thread, but i wanted to confirm @Andreeww findings. On my UERR cable the top pins are negative and wired to the 3.5mm stereo jack sleeve. Additionally, the left positive is wired to the tip, and the right positive to the ring.

Unfortunately i know this because in the few years I've owned my cIEMs, I'm on my 5th cable due to failures. most at the ear end, one at the jack end...

I know they have the new fancy connector now, but I'm a bit wary since the replacement cables are $200 instead of $39. (plus $16 shipping!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back