help with technics sl-b200
Nov 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jcmbruce

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased some beginner headphones and amp for my digital music collection and am ecstatic with the results.  Since I’ve been having so much luck with them, I dug up my dads old record collection & turntable and hooked it up.  Pure disappointment.  Everything else sounds great with my current system; movies, music ect.  But this turntable is giving me so much buzzing sounds and i have to turn the volume on my receiver all the way up to get a decent sound.  But then the buzzing is really loud and annoying.  I checked out other channels on the receiver without anything playing and turned them all the way up and don’t get the type of feedback I’m getting with the turntable.  Anyways, without spending a fortune, I’d like to get this thing going.  The technics is pretty old…probably not the one my dad originally had, so maybe its the problem, but idk…  I’m anxious to listen these records again as my ears are becoming spoiled with better quality music…and I’m running out of things to listen to, lol.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Are you actually running it through the phono input?

The RCA output of a turntable isn't line level like most other components, it takes a preamplifier and EQ curve application to get it to that point.

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but if memory serves, the SL-B indicator means that it is belt driven.

If you've got an extra 200 or 300 dollars to devote to the bare minimum of what it takes to get a decent phono setup, I'd say go for it if you're really interested and have the time. Otherwise, in my opinion it's not really worth it.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply.  I posted this out of frustration before doing any research.  I did find that grounding  the connection to my reciever fixed the buzzing noise and that I needed an amp.  I was able to rig the E6 to give me just enough power to have an enjoyable volume from the turntable...but it only lasted a couple hours.  I forgot how much maintenance lp's required and I'm only going to listen to the ones that I can't find digitally.  Thanks again for your help as I do realize it takes a commitment to sit down and write a reply.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 4
If you like the vinyl sound, there are plenty of folks out there making digital rips with super high quality equipment. Less common stuff might be difficult to find, but for classic rock, pop, and pretty much any album that charted, there's a source for.

Do a search for pbthal, lots and lots of fantastic rips done on a funkudiculous Clearaudio table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back