Help with Stax issue!
Nov 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

inburrito

New Head-Fier
I've got a new pair of 307s and a just-bought SRM-T1W driver.  Music comes through heavily distorted, with a strange, warbling tone fading in & out.

My problem is trying to determine if this is the earspeakers or the driver.  I suspect the driver, both because the phones are brand-new and because it just *seems* like a bias issue to me - even though I have NO experience with such issues.

There is something labeled Bias Voltage on the front of the unit.  I can't tell if it's an LED or a voltage-check probe, but, if it's an LED, it does NOT light.

I realize I am giving limited info here but can anybody help me diagnose the issue?  I have no other driver to test the earspeakers on, and I must decide whether or not to return the amp to the seller ASAP.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 5
The SRM-T1W should have two outputs one is high voltage and the other is low.

Have you tried the other output to see if that cures the problem?

Secondly, does the problem go away after 20 minutes of warming up?

Lastly, the bad news, is it could be a bad filter cap which means the amp will not perform well until the cap(s) are replaced.

From your description of the sound "warbling" to me it is a sure sign of a bad cap or two.

I would send it back and get a refund.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 5
  The SRM-T1W should have two outputs one is high voltage and the other is low.

Have you tried the other output to see if that cures the problem?

Secondly, does the problem go away after 20 minutes of warming up?

My last post crossed yours!

The amp does have Pro & Normal outputs.  I am using the Pro, since all new Stax phones are pro (580V).  

It is not a warmup issue.  It doesn't go away.  (Even if it did, this wouldn't be normal.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back