Help With Speakers
Oct 24, 2005 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

atart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm finally considering upgrading my computer speakers and have this combo in mind:
-Swans M200
-EMU-0404
-Subwoofer (recommendations for a 100W sub with the swans??)

Now, i need to know 2 things before i go ahead and get these

1) the swans are a pair of powered speakers with an in-built amp, and thus dont require an external amp. considering its price (around 180) how would similarly priced monitors (wharfedale, paradigm titan etc.) sound compared to the swans?

2) i am not too familiar as to how to make the subwoofer work with the above combo. so the swans would plug into the soundcard, but where would the sub connect? is it into the soundcard as well or into the swans?

also, recommendations for a subwoofer around 100W that would go well with the swans would be great

again, thanks for any and all suggestions.

cheers

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 8
In order to have a subwoofer in the loop, you'd most likely have to have a stereo receiver. Then, connect the swans to the level inputs (banana jacks) on the sub, and then the sub to the receiver. I'm pretty sure you couldnt just do it with the swans.

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 8
wouldnt i be able to plug the swans and subwoofer into a reciever and hook the reciever up to the 0404?

EDIT: my bad, forgot you cant hook up powered speakers to a reciever

thanks

Oct 27, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Regarding A sub, in my own investigations, I've discovered there are subs which can draw a signal from the speaker terminals of an amp (in the case of an active sub). I'm not sure how this might apply active / powered speakers. (Maybe you could use use some splitters off the input to speakers or off the output?)

I know nothing of the Emu cards specifically, I chose not to go down that path (but i've not bought a dac either). Multichannel soundcards can have subwoofer outputs, i've not done this myself though.

Below is bit of text regarding subs by Energy (who've i've been looking at for myself)

Quote:

How do I connect a powered subwoofer?
Connecting a powered subwoofer is extremely simple. Most of today's digital home theater receivers or processors have a dedicated "Subwoofer Output" connection (RCA or Low-Level). Simply connect a male to male RCA connector from the output on your receiver/processor to the subwoofer input on the subwoofer. If your receiver/processor does not have a subwoofer output, using speaker wire (high-level) from the Front Left and Front Right amplifier outputs is recommended. Please ensure you do not connect BOTH Low and High level connections simultaneously, as this will cause damage to your powered subwoofer.

Looking at the manuals yields more specific info. I really wouldn't know how to go about it in regards to powered speakers. But still, the fact that there are subs which can take signals from a source other than 'sub out' may be of interest to you,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back