Help with Speakers for new PC
Jan 11, 2017 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

grimr3aper

New Head-Fier
Hey guys so i just finished my new pc build. Now im looking for a set of speakers. Looking to spend around 250$ us 
Will be used while gaming, listening to music all genres and movie watching. I have the Giggabyte z170x gaming 5 Motherboard. 
Also id like a sub and a nice range. 
Would raise budget some for a good set.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 18
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, sometimes go on sale for $99 (Bestbuy).
Used on eBay, under $100

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, plus sub-woofer, $390 + tax/shipping
http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401

Maybe pass on getting the sub-woofer and just get the Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170 +tax/shipping

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 18
  Hey guys so i just finished my new pc build. Now im looking for a set of speakers. Looking to spend around 250$ us 
Will be used while gaming, listening to music all genres and movie watching. I have the Giggabyte z170x gaming 5 Motherboard. 
Also id like a sub and a nice range. 
Would raise budget some for a good set.

You'll have to sacrifice a little bit for either gaming or music. You either get the best drivers possible in the largest monitors that will fit along with a sub for seamless integration on music (ie you get as much of the audio coming out of the monitors and if you even get one, cut the sub as low as possible just to fill in where the monitors trail off) or you get five decent satellites and a sub for gaming so you can have surround sound and the best immersive experience. Barring an expensive set up using the same kind of speakers as the first on surround systems, using just two of those will sound great, it just won't be immersive. You can get practically any of the usual suspects for this from Logitech or Creative.

If you'll have headphones on this system anyway consider getting a multimedia 5.1 set speakers just for gaming and then just get a good headphone system for music. Alternately, you can use a decent headphone with a virtual surround DSP on a soundcard (check if the motherboard already has that though) and then get a good 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for music. If you go this route, for the speakers, I'd get something like the HiVi M200 or the Edifier R2000DB.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 18
If you are in the U.S., these are a steal at $288:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii

I have them and love them.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 18

If you're gonna spend that much might as well save up and get a pro monitor subwoofer later to go with studio monitors. At least pro monitor subs have an input that sends the signal back out to the monitors, and in some cases, can apply a high pass filter to that output. That way instead of just catching where the monitors trail off you have the option of cutting it higher at least until the sub is easily localized.

Good sub for the price, at least it's not more expensive than the Daytons.

As much as the form factor might help mounting it higher up I wouldn't really trust Earthquake. I've heard many cars with their subs before and all of them sound like the cars with B52 subs that you get from auto accessories shops instead of serious car audio gear. This might be better but of course given my history with the stuff I can't recommend it without hearing it to confirm that it actually is better.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 18
Completely agree with the poster above, I love my rp6's and actually prefer them to my adam a7x for general listening.  You may even find you dont need a sub, I rarely turn mine on.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 18
I went with the krk rokit 5s.since they will fit on my desk a little better hopefully i dont regret it

One thing I forgot to mention about active speakers - in case you don't like the balance even after getting the toe-in and height/angle right, just tweak the balance between the gain of the tweeter amps vs the midwoofer amps. Just check which knob in the back controls the tweeter amp gain - IIRC it has -3dB, 0dB, and +3dB positions.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for all the impu guys these krks sound amazing happy i went with them. 
iam Getting some feed back with hem plunged in to the pc any fix for that.
This is the cable i got
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HGM1D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 18
  Thanks for all the impu guys these krks sound amazing happy i went with them. 
iam Getting some feed back with hem plunged in to the pc any fix for that.
This is the cable i got
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HGM1D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit, or an audio interface. Even if this doesn't eliminate the noise (which you then have to address some other way, like a power strip plugged into a separate outlet with just the speakers plugged in for example), it puts one volume control closer to your hand. If you have a 3.5mm to RCA lying around (check the box, my friend's had one) try that one also.

If you don't need to drive headphones you can go with the cheapest Focusrite Scarlett interface, but get a balanced TRS cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back