help with speakers + amp combo for PC on a tight budget (under £200, under £150 if at all possible)
Jan 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acme15

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need a bit of help deciding on what combination to go for here as I must confess that i'm new on the scene and all the more complicated words referring to speakers just confuse me haha, so just assume that I know nothing.

I wanted to replace my panasonic stereo (2x 125w speakers) as the output for my music (Asus Xonar DS > 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable > music port on stereo) as the sound quality is absolutely appalling. The stereo sounds 'ok' when playing from a CD, but the music port is horrible.

I was originally going to get some Teac LS-W300's and a FiiO A1 and run it like this Asus Xonar DS > 3.5mm to 3.5mm > FiiO A1> Teac LS-W300, but then I looked into it a bit more and i'm not sure if I can even connect those speakers to the FiiO...

The speakers have black/red binding posts for the sattellites and an RCA/LFA for the sub. From what I can gather, the A1 can only run 2.0 speakers using EITHER the posts OR the RCA, and not both. Though I hope i'm wrong.

I also do not know if the FiiO will push the speakers (50w sattellites and 100w sub) not sure what impedence or efficiency etc they are, I dont even know how to stick those words in a sentence when talking about speakers.

I can see tonnes of potential problems with the aforementioned setup, so I need help deciding on the possibility of different speakers (I want clarity and bass as I listen to practically all genres and I like my bass when it is needed), or the possibility of a different amp or different type of amp, or maybe just a bunch of messy adapters.

I dont want to chicken out and just buy some high power logitech speakers and run them straight from the sound card.

Thanks guys :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 13
The A1 doesn't have a sub out so you won't be able to connect the sub up, also for roughly the same price as the fiio you can get this more powerful amp, http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-TOPAZ-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0043UO4CS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325686804&sr=8-3 or for less a t-amp http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Class-T-Tripath-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B005ZH2VPK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325686872&sr=1-4 , also you can get much better speakers than them teacs , http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/gale/silver-monitor/gale-silmon , http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk .

For a sub you need one for a pass thru low level is the easyest to connect up something like this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyundai-Multicav-Active-Theater-Subwoofer/dp/B002WBKIA2 .

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
why are you after including a sub?

the A1 should drive any normal full range quite adiquatly

i dont quite understand what you mean... I want a sub-woofer, and i want an amp that is able to drive it as well as the sattelites.

It may have been easier if i just asked what amp for around £80 or less will push those Teac speakers.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 13
speakers choice: YAMAHA NSBP300PB or WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 + NAD amp on eBay

Quote:
i dont quite understand what you mean... I want a sub-woofer, and i want an amp that is able to drive it as well as the sattelites.

It may have been easier if i just asked what amp for around £80 or less will push those Teac speakers.

most subs are powered; they have an amp built in them

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 13
speakers choice: YAMAHA NSBP300PB or WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 + NAD amp on eBay

Quote:

most subs are powered; they have an amp built in them

Yes in most cases, but these speakers do not connect to the sub, the sub and speakers both have to connect to an amp. The Teac speakers are a 2.1 combo. The Sub has an LFA cable, the sattelites have binding post cables. There are no inputs on the back of the sub for the sattelites.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

i mean why do you want a sub?

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
i mean why do you want a sub?

The Teac LS-W300 includes a sub. The speaker system is a sub and 2 sattellites, but the sattelites dont connect to the sub, and the sub connects with an LFA. The sattellites connect with binding posts or banana plugs.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Yes in most cases, but these speakers do not connect to the sub, the sub and speakers both have to connect to an amp. The Teac speakers are a 2.1 combo. The Sub has an LFA cable, the sattelites have binding post cables. There are no inputs on the back of the sub for the sattelites.

I've never owned a sub so I'm not the best at giving advice, but if you Google the question you'll find more info. for example, this article should provide some better understanding... or the Polk's PSW 110 manual shows different options. also check the Teac LS-W300 manual. 

btw, is LFE not LFA.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

I've never owned a sub so I'm not the best at giving advice, but if you Google the question you'll find more info. for example, this article should provide some better understanding... or the Polk's PSW 110 manual shows different options. also check the Teac LS-W300 manual. 

btw, is LFE not LFA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back