Help with Sony MDR-7506 amplifier and cord/cable
Aug 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chickennuggets

100+ Head-Fier
Edited.

I've got a few questions regarding my Sony MDR-7506 headphone that I've had for ages. I love them.
Recently I got some Beyerdynamic edt250 velour pads for them, which are incredible.

What I'm interested in now, is getting advice on replacing the OEM coiled cord with a higher quality, straight cord. I never use the phones 3meters from the source and I don't need the 1/4 connector.

Second, I'm interested in actually powering these things, with an inexpensive, basic, yet functional amplifier. I use them mostly with my PlayStation Vita so a small footprint would be ideal. I have done very minimal research but it seems a lot of people use battery powered amps. I never knew. Edit: I should have mentioned that I'd like a nice balanced sound. I'm not looking for crazy lows, or crazy highs. The headphones sound good as they are, I think they just need more power to be properly utilised. But of course, that's why I posted. If you know something I don't, which I'm certain is true, please advise me. Thank you so much!

Thanks for your help, people; without headfi I never would have discovered the Westone UM series, which I really like, those are nice IEM. Thank you.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 12
I used to own an MDR-V6. IMO, an amplifier is probably pointless. Unless you need to make the sound louder, you don't need one. It won't make the headphones sound any different or more balanced, especially if you are connecting it to a PS Vita. 

Honestly, for the price of a new cable plus an amplifier, you'd see much more tangible improvement by just getting better headphones. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 12
That was pretty much my intention, to have the source at a lower volume setting and still get the loudness I want. So I'm not needing a crazy amp, just something to amplify the volume. I don't need a bass switch or other frills. Just something to amplify the source a bit. Thanks a lot for any suggestions, in advance.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 12
The only inexpensive, portable amp I've ever used is the JDS Labs Cmoy. The sound is great for the money, but it's not the most durable due to the altoids case. The jacks ended up being very loose after a year or so. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 12
FiiO E11 is a great choice, but I think the size may not be quite what you want. The FiiO E6 is much smaller, and fully capable of boosting the sound you require with the accompaniment of your PS Vita.

Edit:
I should also add the E6 may be easier to work with the PS Vita.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 12
FiiO E11 is a great choice, but I think the size may not be quite what you want. The FiiO E6 is much smaller, and fully capable of boosting the sound you require with the accompaniment of your PS Vita.

Edit:
I should also add the E6 may be easier to work with the PS Vita.

Why do you say that about the e6? Easier to work with?

Thanks a lot guys, for the feedback.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 12
Why do you say that about the e6? Easier to work with?

Thanks a lot guys, for the feedback.

I am just going off an assumption that you do more than just listen to music with your PS Vita, since you have stated that is what you primarily use your cans with.  The E6 is very light and able to hang off with ease if you are playing a game.  The E11 you would not be able to do as such.  The E11 is light, but I would not go as far as saying light enough that you don't need to strap it.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 12
I am just going off an assumption that you do more than just listen to music with your PS Vita, since you have stated that is what you primarily use your cans with.  The E6 is very light and able to hang off with ease if you are playing a game.  The E11 you would not be able to do as such.  The E11 is light, but I would not go as far as saying light enough that you don't need to strap it.

I really only game on my Vita, not so much walking around while doing so either. The amp would just be lying about next to me while playing the Vita.
If I wanna listen to music, I'll do so on my mobile device, which isn't often. That usually happens in the car while driving around.
I do like how tiny the e6 is though. Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back