help with some reccomendations please!!
Jun 15, 2004 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pretzel

Head-Fier
i am helping my friend to purchase a pair of headphones. She will be using them with her laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-GRT360ZG ). its a nice fast laptop (though im not sure if that means anything in regards to sound quality). She wants something nice looking (looks cool, not too big, not too heavy, comfortable) and just decent sounding (nothing audiophile :p ). Im not even sure if the laptop will be a good source?
Music will generally be pop, r'nb, ballads, generally the stuff you hear on the top40 on radio.
Budget wise, nothing too expensive. Maybe around $100usd. A couple that comes in mind is the sony d66sl ego and senn 497, are these any good? Keep in mind the source is her laptop.
Thanks all!
Simon.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 7
i've got a vaio grx560 and in my experience, the vaio has a pretty damn good headphone out.

now i've never heard them but i am a big grado fan, so maybe alessandro ms-1?

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 7
i use a pair of Senn. HD437 which are pretty good with my nomad jukebox 3.
they're low on detail but good on the bass and at $30 it's a good deal.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 7
I'd go with something from the Koss PortaPro series: KTX-Pro1, KSC-50, KSC-55, KSC-35, SportaPro, PortaPro. They range in price from $20-$50 and sound wonderful for the price. You can look up information about them (not to mention purchase them) at http://www.koss.com/ or http://www.headphone.com/ (headphone.com is Headroom Corporation, which has a wonderful 30-day satisfaction guarantee and sells most of the PortaPro line) Good Luck!

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
i've got a vaio grx560 and in my experience, the vaio has a pretty damn good headphone out.

now i've never heard them but i am a big grado fan, so maybe alessandro ms-1?

are you missing out something? she needed something that look nice. she would vomit if she saw the grado. also is australia one of the country in grado's black list?

the eggo would actaully be a nice choice, it look nice except when you wear it. it is very comfortable, the slight bright sound = happy mood. and the brand is sony too. as for the sound quality, i love it.

actaully i would say the px100, they are open and very comfortable. i think they are very nice looking headphone. the sound is pretty decent too in my opinion. goes for $40.

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 7
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...66c7771a091c44 Audio Technica Pro5 from Japan.

Two friends of mine have got the camo ones, and I am planning on getting the silvers. I've heard the D66 Eggos and they weren't better, in looks, sound, comfort or price. Take a serious look at those. I can't hear anything when I have music on, they aren't as small as the eggos but they aren't big either. That comes to 92 USD total with shipping to most everywhere in the world.

Jun 15, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 7
Can I recommend Sony Ex71's? Since she'll be using a laptop, she can EQ them to make them actually sound nice (not audiophile, but still quite enjoyable).

The pros in this phone are:
stylish (sony fontopia style)
sound good when EQed
cheap ($35 with free shipping off buy.com)
noise canceling - these cancel a ton of noise. (this may be a con rather than a pro if she needs to hear outside noise)
comfotable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back