Help with smartphone earbud [ATH CKM500]
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lord Revan

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post here. This looks like a website where people really know what they are talking about, so here i go.
I want to change my stock smartphone headset, but i want to keep the mic+button to answer calls and change/pause music. So i need a earbud with this features, but as my smartphone is "old" (Xperia neo, 2011) it isn't CTIA, but OMTP and the majority of headsets with mic won't work.

So i bought a very cheap adapte (the only one i could find...) like this:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/e/headphone_adapter-1.jpg

(not exactly this one)

And i pretend to use it with a nice quality earbud to have both the controls and a good sound. So I'm planning to buy the ATH CKM500, since it have an extension and i can  just use  the upper part with my adapter and be happy. Now my two questions are:

1- Will the sound quality be significantly reduces by this cheap adapter? I think the answer is no, since 99% of the quality of the sound is related to the speakers, am i right?

2- Is the ATH CKM 500 a good earbud to buy?

Thanks

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 3
1 - I've owned an Xperia Neo, and I used the headset Sony Ericsson "Bass Reflex" MH-500, not the earbuds part but the remote and extension cord part. I used it with my Sony MDR-EX600 as it is an official SE product; it worked brilliantly with calls and playing music, and no noticeable difference in sound quality between using the MH-500 or not.

I suggest you get that if you are worried about the quality of the cheap adapter you found, though I'm sure it won't make a difference, so you can get that instead of the MH-500. I think you can get them on Amazon or eBay for quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/SonyEricsson-Headset-Sony-Ericsson-X10mini/dp/B004GZ0OUG

2 - In terms of your choice for an IEM, the CKM500 would be a good buy, it is a well-priced earphones with many strong points. It will not disappoint in playing music from your Xperia Neo. Some of its performances derive from its design/comfort, and its soundstage, mids, and overall details and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back