Help with setting up Philips PSC-805 (Aurilium)
Apr 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I recently plug-and-played my brand new Philips PSE-805 Aurilium. Upon testing it out with a CD on my laptop, the sound has very loud, constant clipping in it, and then the music goes dead between 10-30 sec and the lights on the Aurilium turn off and won't respond to anything until I pull and plug the USB back in. I was holding off on installing SoundAgent2 on the computer due to the suggestion of owners around here and the aegophile review, but if it's this buggy without using the software I'm not too sure if I have a choice. I'm using XP, so Vista-compatibility is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help. If there's any other things that need to be specified before troubleshooting, I'll respond quickly.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm running it from one of the laptop's USB ports, not a hub. Windows Volume Control is controlled by the knob on the Aurilium by default, and I kept that low. The wave, SW synth, and CD audio sliders were at max, but I don't think that's important. I first tried Foobar for playback, then Windows Media Player with the same result.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a result of some obvious oversight by me, but nothing is coming to me right now.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 13
Yes, it's clipping from the headphone out. I haven't tried from any other part of the box yet.

I wasn't sure on the USB 2.0 part, but my device manager lists "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller." I've read if the word "Enhanced" is in there, that it's USB 2.0. I tried the port in the back, thinking that only that one might be USB 2.0 while the others on the side are USB 1.1, but it did the same thing.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Just to eliminate options, try installing the drivers and see if clipping continues. The software has options for pre-amp and what not, maybe adjusting those takes care of the clipping.

You can always switch between Aurilium and PSC805 in foobar to check.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 13
Still happening, even with the SoundAgent installed. I was kind of dismayed in noticing that in the supposedly brand new package, the CD was noticibly scuffed. Perhaps I was had and this is actually a refurb?

May 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 13
And the plot thickens...it works fine on my desktop. So where do I go from here?

EDIT: And screws up on my brother's laptop the same as on mine.

May 8, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Anyone else have suggestions on possible fixes for this? Alleyman can't possibly be the only other person here with an Aurilium. I'd hate to go through the RMA process just to find out that the replacement does the same thing because the problem was software-based.

Could it have something to do with insufficient power from the USB?

May 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 13
That certainly is a head scratcher. The fact that it plays fine off the desktop PC means the device is functional and any replacement will probably give you the same issues. Does your brother have the same laptop as you or a different brand all together? This could be a motherboard issue. Are all drivers up to date?

May 8, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, it's the same exact model...a Toshiba Satellite (L25-S1193) that we both got on Black Friday '05.

There's only one other computer in the family, my parent's laptop, but it doesn't have USB 2.0.

May 8, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Hehe, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite (M35x-S311) too :p

It definitely seems to be the problem here since its the only common factor. Look up toshiba's site for BIOS/MB updates if any. If there's nothing, you just might be out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back