Help with selecting new setup
Aug 31, 2016 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cefx

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading my audio gear. Things are falling apart. Literally. Please help me get the best out of my money! Read Mad Lust Envy's guide, holiday buying guide, and nameless pc audio guide.

What I've had and loved: Teac HA-p50 + DT880 250ohm.
Own currently: Sennheiser G4me Z3r0 [558s?], old Beats from 2013, Beyerdynamic 120 IEM's.
Have owned a ****ty Razer headset, Astro A50's, and listened to Klipsch IEM's. Own a Pioneer Elite+Wharfedale 5.1 home theater. I'm kind of an advanced noob when it comes to my ears you could say. Middle ground, not quite the audiophile yet but I can tell the differences and >love< good quality.

What I do with them/how I play them: High end gaming laptop for gaming, FLAC/320kbps mp3s, high quality 1080p MKV with good sound rips. I will use them predominantly for FPS games, but also listen to a fair bit of metal, rock, classical and some EDM. I also watch a ****ton of movies/tv. I wear them for many hours a day. 5-9 at least.

On my list:

DAC&Amp - iFi micro iCAN SE, Dragonfly Red, O2/odac, Modi/magni, or HA-200.

Headphones - HiFiMan HE400S, Ultrasone Pro 900, Philips Fidelio X2, Sennheiser HD650

Open to suggestions.

Budget for both: $1000 Canadian after tax [our tax here is 15%, so basically $850 before tax.] Or $800 USD after tax [$700 before]. It's tough because I love the way the Pro 900s look and read to sound like [nova scotia...not **** here to demo]. But in Canada they're $529. Which kinda limits my dac/amp choices. I'm afraid of the AKG treble/highs because my ears are sensitive to highs/mids.
Build quality is important as I tend to be rather hard on my electronics.

Much love to you guys. Thank you!

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 2
Howdy!

The DT880s are a little bright, so you might be good with the AKGs - the K7XX are smoother and less bright to me than the DT880s. The Ultrasones can get a little shouty in the treble I've heard, so I'd be careful there. The X2 and 400S are certainly safe choices, and I think you could add the K7XX to that list. The most important thing is getting the headphones you want, source gear (DAC, amp) can only do so much. The X2 is probably going to be the warmest, then the K7XX, then the 400S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back