Help with Repair
May 4, 2002 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Daniel

New Head-Fier
I broke the plug for my V-6's and now i'm trying to put a replacement that i got from RadioShack. I first tried the Soderless plug, I got that connected semi-well...There was a distortion and it would go on and off.

So i got a Shielded Stereo Mini Plug and i tryed it again to no avail. I'm doing everything right. I figured out the GND and LF/RT. But i get nothing out of it now.

I want my V-6's back. If someone could give me some pointers on putting a new plug on or step-by-step instructions i'd be greatful.

Daniel

May 4, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I've made the same mistake my friend...you first must make absolutely sure the wires aren't touching each other inside the plug, or touching anything else made of metal other than the post they are supposed to connect to. Cut the wires as short as possible to get the job done and have the insulation as close to the metal post as possible.

That should help. And of course, when you screw in the posts, make sure they are good and tight.

May 4, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 5
...Don't forget that Sony wires are lacquered, and that you need to burn the lacquer off before you can make a solid connection

May 7, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
...Don't forget that Sony wires are lacquered, and that you need to burn the lacquer off before you can make a solid connection

OK. I'm not sure i understand this.

When i strip the wire, all i see is the three wires...bare. They're respective colors showing (gold/red/green).

How would i go about burning off the lacquer?

May 7, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 5
...after you strip back the respective sheeths, you'll see that the copper itself looks amazingly clean...

just stroke (although don't hold for too long) a hot soldering iron across the wire (all the way around) a couple of times, and you should smell something hot... that lacquer is to keep the wires nice and clean, and ~ if you're not in the know, to stop you getting a good soldered connection.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back