Help with purchasing speakers?
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pra5hant

Head-Fier
I want to buy a pair of speakers to listen to good music and also sound good when I watch a film. I'm a bit of a bass head so bass is a must have and clarity is also an issue. Any good speakers under £200? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Those do look good. Which ones would be the best? Under £100 and not PC speakers. Thanks.

Some speakers are classified as "multimedia" but are closer to studio monitors in design than PC speakers, such as the use of wood and independent channels of amplification for each tweeter and midwoofer, unlike the usually plastic construction of PC speakers and their smaller amps. Aside from Edifier (they have both traditional PC speakers and also the better ones) you can also look into Swans Speakers' Multimedia line. For that price I'll highly recommend the D1080 or the M200. I'm not sure about local prices in your area but the D200 might be just a little bit above your budget.

Since you need a lot of bass, I'd suggest you get the M50W since it has a sub, or at the very least those I listed above over the traditional design of hi-fi passive speakers. I have not tried any 5in-ish speaker that had enough bass, but the D1080 - perhaps due to its amp design (4channels vs 2channels in the usual hi-fi amps), perhaps also due to the driver design - pounds enough bass that can be heard in  the bathroom across the hallway from my room, both doors closed and the shower running. As in I can dance in the shower while preparing to go out (not like I'll end up in one of those clubs with a bouncer outside as I prefer drinking in bistros with good food rather than with people high on ecstasy groping each other).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back