Help with purchasing headphones
Sep 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markstcl

New Head-Fier
This is my first time posting, so Hello to everyone. I could really use some help in finding a pair of headphones. I am looking for a pair of full size closed back over-ear headphones. I will be using this only on my PC and my number one priority above all is comfort. I cannot stand pleather ear pads, so velour or real leather earpads are a must. As for what I am listening to, it will be a mixture of movies, gaming, and a very wide variety of music. I have a budget of $300. I do not have an amp but my PC has a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro sound card. Based on my research the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms seems ideal for me. Can anyone confirm this or give me some alternate suggestions. Thank you.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 8
  This is my first time posting, so Hello to everyone. I could really use some help in finding a pair of headphones. I am looking for a pair of full size closed back over-ear headphones. I will be using this only on my PC and my number one priority above all is comfort. I cannot stand pleather ear pads, so velour or real leather earpads are a must. As for what I am listening to, it will be a mixture of movies, gaming, and a very wide variety of music. I have a budget of $300. I do not have an amp but my PC has a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro sound card. Based on my research the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms seems ideal for me. Can anyone confirm this or give me some alternate suggestions. Thank you.

Heya,

The DT770 PRO 80ohm is definitely the top of the suggestions I'd give you. The only other alternative with your requirements is the Ultrasone PRO 750, but it's fairly bright, but otherwise quite well made and has velour pads as well (and a detachable cable, and a good sound stage). An alternative would be the AudioTechnica A900X, but you would have to find some velour/cloth pads to supplement, such as the K271 velour pads or K272 HD pads maybe. You could also seek out real leather Stax 007 pads (but they're expensive). An alternative to those would be the Alpha pads from Mr Speakers (equivalent to the Stax pads).

Very best,

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 8

The line-out/headphone jack on your Titanium sound card does not have a headphone amplifier :frowning2: and I'm guessing high impedance :frowning2:

The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) sells on eBay for around $60 and can be connected between the Titanium and whatever headphones you are using (or getting).

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 8
  The line-out/headphone jack on your Titanium sound card does not have a headphone amplifier :frowning2: and I'm guessing high impedance :frowning2:

The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) sells on eBay for around $60 and can be connected between the Titanium and whatever headphones you are using (or getting).

To be fair, all devices, including sound cards, have amplifiers. It's simply a matter of to what degree of output they have at that stage.

I've had old soundcards from the 90's that pushed my Sennheiser HD580's just fine, before headphone amps really even were starting to exist beyond super niche markets.

Very best,

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, especially MalVeauX. I will be purchasing the DT 770 Pro 80 then. Guitar center currently has it for $199.99, so I will most likely purchase it from them, but if anyone knows of a better place with a lower price please do let me know, that is the lowest price I found online.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 8
  Thanks for all the help and suggestions, especially MalVeauX. I will be purchasing the DT 770 Pro 80 then. Guitar center currently has it for $199.99, so I will most likely purchase it from them, but if anyone knows of a better place with a lower price please do let me know, that is the lowest price I found online.

What country or area do you live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back