Help with PowerSupply for PIMETA Amp?
Feb 28, 2004 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hybridamp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys, I recently purchased a PIMETA amplifier from a local friend, but he did not include a PowerSupply unit with it. He did tell me that I needed a powersupply capable of 12v+/-. The OpAmps used in the amp are: ad8620

So I assumed that 12V +/- meant 24v total, so a 24v regulated powersupply should be adequate, correct?

Anyways, after researching what is used most commonly for the PPA (which I wish I had the money for) and other PIMETA amp owners, it seems the Elpac WM080-1950-760 is the most popular. I was told this was because it has a low Ripple Noise of 0.5%.

Now, the problem, when I looked at that specific Elpac model, noticed the specs sheet said it used a 5-pin round type of connector, is that correct?

If so, it would no work with my PIMETA because it has a 2-pin type Barrel connector, meaning it uses one of those pin type things where the outer shroud is negative, and the inner-center pin is positive. After looking at Elpacs models that have this type of connector, they dont offer any 24v powersupplys with the same low 0.5% ripple noise.

Here is a pic of the DC connection port in my PIMETA:
http://www.oldschoolcaraudio.com/pix/pimeta-rear.jpg

My question is, do you guys know of any powersupply with my type of connector that will be high quality?
OR
Should I order one of the 5-pin connectors and attempt to change mine out so I can use that type of powersupply...

ANY HELP would be appreciated, I am a certified NEWBIE (tard) to the headphone hi-fi community, as I have been strictly car audio hi-fi for 10years.

THANKS!
-hybridamp

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 8
If you looked at the drawing at Newark, it is incorrect. I contacted Elpac and the WM080-1950-760 does not come with a 5 pin connector, only the barrel type.

Feb 28, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 8
I am not really sure, I will ask my friend though, whom built it, and see what he says.

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your help guys, I put my order in with Mouser for a WM080-1950-760. Hopefully 24v will work without frying my stuffs.
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 8
The mouser part is the exact part you need, it will work perfectly. I bought my amp + power supply from MisterX and he shipped the power supply still in its box from Mouser.

BTW according to Tangent, the Elpac's N+R is 1.8%, not 0.5%, I thought (from memory)...

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Help me too please! Will a 12V power supply work with the Pimeta? Will it have the same quality at a lower gain? I have used a volume setting above 9:00 with any amp/headphone combination, and go barely half an hour above zero volume with my CMOY/ER6, so I definitely would prefer lower gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back