Help with portable setup
May 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mfbrian88

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just introduced myself in the introduction thread so I won't bother with that again. I'm sure many folks come in here asking for advice so I'll just try and keep it simple...

I listen to all sorts of music, mainly "hard rock", if I had to try and define it...but really almost anything but country. I listen to music on the go, through an iPhone, via Spotify. I don't have a personal computer or knowledge of where to download loseless files for music so I signed up to Tidal. I don't mind paying the $20 but I was wondering if it's really needed? Sounds like it is needed in order to get the most out of my setup, which is below:

846's coming in the mail tomorrow! (Super stoked, I currently use 535's.

OPPO HA-2 coming in Monday. I found one used for $230 on Amazon directly from OPPO. I'll return of people think I don't need it, or if I feel it doesn't make a difference.

iphone with Tidal.

So here are my questions:

1.I see people disagreeing about 320 kb/s vs loseless. I tried very hard to see the difference through my iPhone and 535's. Listened to the same songs on Spotify at 320 and on Tidal as loseless. It was hard for me to really see a difference. Through my 535's I just think Tidal sounded a bit louder? Perhaps this is premature of me as I need my 846's and the DAC to really get the true sound of loseless?

2.Do I need the OPPO HA-2 for my iPhone? Again, I saw some people saying it wouldn't do much and others say it does. Does it only benefit me if I listen to loseless files and found somewhat useless if I listen in 320?

3. What other accessories would people recommend, e.g. cables and ear tips? I may do the custom molds for my 846's as I see people are saying it's totally worth it.

4. Lastly, if I eventually move to a decent hifi player, I wouldn't have a need for the OPPO HA-2 would I? Any suggestions on players?

Thanks everyone for the help!

-Brian

May 20, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 6
Get together with a friend and see if you can tell the difference with blind testing of mp3 vs. lossless on a computer: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test. A lot of people can't.

Which iPhone do you have? Different models have a bit different audio. But I would certainly wait until you listen to your headphones with it before buying an amp/dac. Personally, I think carrying a DAC/amp is a pain in the butt with a phone.

For a DAP, how about a Fiio X3?

May 20, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 6
I have an iPhone 6, well I'll be using the iPhone 5 if I were to use loseless as I can download those files from Tidal onto my old iPhone 5, purely for the use of the player.

The OPPO is a DAP right? I'll see how my 856's sound with and without the OPPO. I'll check out the X3 as well.

Thanks!

May 20, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Look up your phone reviews in GSMArena. The iPhone 6 audio is apparently very good: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-review-1141p8.php.

The OPPO HA-2 is just a DAC and headphone amp. No music player ability like the X3.

May 20, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh got it, but I wouldn't really need the X3 unless I do go for loseless files right? If I find that 320 is okay for me, I can just use my iPhone...

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll wait for the headphones and amp and go from there!

Thanks a bunch.

May 20, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 6
The reason I suggested the X3 is because I hate to use up my phone battery and having to have it hooked up to the DAC/amp. But since you already have two iPhones, one which you can use as your DAP, if you are happy with the sound, I say stick with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back