help with portable amp decision?
Nov 17, 2004 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

alanz

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all...

I've read quite a bit of this forum, and I would appreciate some opinions.

I have a 4G iPod and both Ety 4p and Grado SR60 phones

I'm thinking that a portable amp will bring out the best in the 4p's and likely will do some good for the SR60.

Because of size (and price), I was leaning towards the Xin Super Micro or Super Mini. However with the SuperMacro coming online, I was wondering if I'd really notice the difference.

I'm a casual, not very critical listener, but I would like to get the most out of the phones. I use the Etys on the go, and the SR60 in my office. Generally they're driven by the iPod, but more and more I also like to drive them from an XM Roady portable receiver.

So the question is... does it make sense for me to stick with a SuperMini, or is there enough of a quality leap for me to entertain the SuperMacro (or any other very small, light, well regarded amp)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 2
I recently got a Super Mini Moy. The sound is a bit punchier when I patch in normally through the headphone jack of my iPod, but it really isn't that dramatic a difference with my HD590s. But when I patch in through the dock connector using a Pocket Dock with Line Out, the sound is not only punchier... it's clearer, more transparent and more defined. The Super Mini Moy is definitely better sounding than the built in headphone amp in the iPod.The only drawback is that I can clearly hear artifacting in mp3s encoded at 192 now.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back