Help with playing FLAC 24/96
Mar 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

planespotting

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I would like to play FLAC 24/96 files on my home stereo setup. The equipment available is as follows:

-Onkyo TX-NR709 with Focal Chorus 706 towers & center 3 channel setup + Paradigm PDR-10 sub
-Samsung BD-E5900
-Apple TV
-Xbox One
-Playstation 3
-Non-smart Panasonic Plasma TV

-Samsung Galaxy S5
-Apple iPad (3rd gen)
-Apple iPod Classic

Am I better off converting to a lower res ALAC (what software?) or are there other solutions available? As I understand it ALAC/Apple stuff will only do 16/44. 

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you checked to see if your USB input on your bluray player supports playing flacs via flash drive at that sampling rate/bit rate?

Otherwise, do you have a computer (e.g. laptop) that has HDMI out? If so, you should be able to hook it up to your receiver and play them.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 6
ALAC is not only 16/44. Only if you use an iDevice, like the iPad it will convert 24/96 to 16/44 because it's limited by software. Since iOS7 you can bypass it with an external DAC.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 6
  ALAC is not only 16/44. Only if you use an iDevice, like the iPad it will convert 24/96 to 16/44 because it's limited by software. Since iOS7 you can bypass it with an external DAC.

How does that work? Can I use iTunes to load the full res ALAC onto the iPad? I assume I'd be looking for a DAC that has the 30 pin cable capability (USB input/apple digital out) into it?

Laptop is too old for HDMI out, and Samsung USB wouldn't work since it doesn't play FLAC or ALAC.

Sorry if I come across a little dumb here. I haven't come across this stuff yet in my FLAC searches.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6
You could get a DAC to run from your laptop to run to the Onkyo. They can be had for $50 - $infinity or more. Creative labs makes a cheap one for around $60 bucks. Just google usb dacs. I have a cheap recording setup that has 24 192 capabilities and it makes a big difference when listening to flac's vs cd's. Just find one that has rca outs and buy a set of cables and your ready to go. IMHO 24 bit sounds better but that is me. I also just bought a cheap ($99) DAP Fiio X1 that does 24 192 and with a cable it can run line out. The little thing sounds pretty good through my HE-400's (needs an amp though) but hooked up to my Denon sounds really good. So there are some options. I would just buy a cheap USB DAC with rca outs and give it a try you won't be out much cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back