Help with picking a DAC (Metrum or MiniMax?)
Jun 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xero

New Head-Fier
This is my first venture in hi-fi so I'm going in this "deaf" when ordering all this. I've been dead set on getting a Mini Max Plus with dexa opamps for a WA6SE to LCD2.2 setup. I have the LCD2.2 already (amazing) and the WA6SE on the way. I'm second guessing myself all of a sudden as I heard terms thrown around like a "NOS" DAC and the Sabre chip sounding analytical and such.
I'm not looking for the most detail ever but an extremely enjoyable, warm analog sound, that has tons of PRaT and goes well with 70's rock and metal. Instrument separation and good tonality is important to me as well especially for prog rock like Genesis and Gentle Giant.

I love the idea of the Mini Max (with all Dexa opamps) for the customizability for changing the tube/opamps, quick shipping time, and the supposed "sweetness" it adds to old recordings while retaining high resolution and detail; sounds like it will go well with a tube amp and LCD2.2, however...

...I also heard the metrum octave is great for a warm, organic sound and somehow benefits from being "NOS". The fact it's supposedly really "musical" sounding intrigues me. Problem is I don't know if it's "too much of a good thing" for the synergy of the other components, and the lack of customizability.

Any ideas? Stick with Mini Max? Go for the Octave? I would love to try to listen to both but I don't have the financial resources to do so.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I'm not looking for the most detail ever but an extremely enjoyable, warm analog sound, that has tons of PRaT and goes well with 70's rock and metal. Instrument separation and good tonality is important to me as well especially for prog rock like Genesis and Gentle Giant.

The warm analogue sound comes at the expense of PRaT. It can also affect instrument and vocal separation.
My own personal preference is now towards an analytical DAC with PRaT and separation, and leave the warm analogue reproduction to the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back