Help with Over-Ears under 300$ Canadian.
Dec 23, 2015 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MrTradeMarkMe

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone, 

I've been someone whose been obsessed with music from young and I'd say I listen to about 6 hrs of music daily (on average). In addition, I listen to about every single genre there is, with the exception of country (sorry not my thing lol). Anyways, I have a few headphones already; I have the monster diamond tears, sure se215s and the sennheiser P-100x (i think that's what they're called), but recently realized that I really wanted some over ears (for the clear benefits they bring). I have pretty much narrowed it down to about 3 choices. Sennheiser momentums 2 ($350 on amazon), Phillips Fidelio L2 ($210 on amazon) and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus (200$ on amazon). 

With that being said, I would prefer an open ear back, but I'm always on the go and I can't afford so much sound leakage, which is the reason that no open back headphones are listed. I've been leaning toward the phillips for the reason that they are semi open, which I thought was a god compromise. I also read great things as far as their sound quality. 

In summary,  I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on which would be a better choice, or even suggest a better pair of headphones that would suit my needs for the price range I'm looking for (I'm willing to go a bit higher if it's really worth it).

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your time!

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Momentum 2 are a good choice. Check it out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Also consider on ear, Beyerdynamic DT1350 & Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminum are good choices.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 13

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Also consider on ear, Beyerdynamic DT1350 & Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminum are good choices.

Momentum 2 Over Ear are excellent choice. I'd have gone for them if it weren't for the looks of Beyerdynamic T51i's. Dang all that metal. lol.

I listen to fair bit of music while in library [ for 10 hours :frowning2: ]and despite being on-ear the Beyers don't hurt as bad. The sound quality is exceptional with soundstage trailing close behind my semi-open DT880s.

But of the 3 choices above I'd go with Momentum 2's. They have had raving reviews. Haven't heard them. But I trust the reviews so far. But may be give T51i's a try? lol

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow thanks, I was looking for that type of thread for a while ! Hmm, as far as on ear, I've read good stuff about those, but I'm not really incline to purchasing on ears right now, but thanks for the suggestion (always welcome). Looking at the thread you linked me to, I didn't know the momentum 2s were such an improvement to the 1s and for the price wow. I've also added to my list NAD VISO HP50. I remember trying them not too long ago and I was impressed I just couldn't remember their name so I forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me haha!

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 13

Momentum 2 Over Ear are excellent choice. I'd have gone for them if it weren't for the looks of Beyerdynamic T51i's. Dang all that metal. lol.

I listen to fair bit of music while in library [ for 10 hours :frowning2: ]and despite being on-ear the Beyers don't hurt as bad. The sound quality is exceptional with soundstage trailing close behind my semi-open DT880s.

But of the 3 choices above I'd go with Momentum 2's. They have had raving reviews. Haven't heard them. But I trust the reviews so far. But may be give T51i's a try? lol

I have to say the T51i's are mesmerizing in their looks and build quality :O German made right??  I'll have to see If I can demo them at a local shop, just for fun! I know I've seen great things as far as the momentum 2 and the thread just solidifies the rumours!

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 13
  Wow thanks, I was looking for that type of thread for a while ! Hmm, as far as on ear, I've read good stuff about those, but I'm not really incline to purchasing on ears right now, but thanks for the suggestion (always welcome). Looking at the thread you linked me to, I didn't know the momentum 2s were such an improvement to the 1s and for the price wow. I've also added to my list NAD VISO HP50. I remember trying them not too long ago and I was impressed I just couldn't remember their name so I forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me haha!

Good luck on your jounrey. It will never end, the UPS guys just handed me a pair of beyer T70s. Let's see how those sound!

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 13

Good luck on your jounrey. It will never end, the UPS guys just handed me a pair of beyer T70s. Let's see how those sound!

Ugh, I was going to increase my budget to $600 to get some OPPO PM-3 (Planar magnetic closed back over ears), but I live in Canada and of course they don't ship here :frowning2:. How do the beyerdynamics sound thus far?

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Ugh, I was going to increase my budget to $600 to get some OPPO PM-3 (Planar magnetic closed back over ears), but I live in Canada and of course they don't ship here :frowning2:. How do the beyerdynamics sound thus far?

Didn't like them, no bass. Weird sound for a beyer.

Merry Christmas my good sir,

http://www.solutionsav.ca/oppo/

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 13

I ended up getting The M2s and I'm genuinely impressed. First impressions, I don't like the fact that they provide only one cable and it's specific to sennheiser... (I can't use any aux cable as a replacement ugh). I also don't like the fact that daisy chanening isn't available (I like the cable on the left drive ugh lol) A pleasant surprise is the ability of changing Ear pads if need be. On a more positive note, the comfort is great. Love it over my on ears. The sound is quite wide for a closed back and the vocals shine through. The detail is superb, I'm noticing certain things in songs that I didn't previously notice. All in all sound quality is amazing and is above what I expected for the price. Impressed!

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Glad you made a decision you are happy with. It's an adventure.

Been listening to the t70s all weekend, they are definitely growing on me. Actually thinking I might keep them now!

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 13
I think you made the right call. If it wasn't for portable use I'd prefer Momentum 2 Over-ears in place for my T51i's. Although the Senns fold I'd be wary to just toss them in my backpack without the box that's provided. Which from the reviews and youtube clips is considerably bigger than the T51i's.

But again I shouldn't let logistics decide when it's sound quality that is the preamble to satisfaction with $300 phones.

Enjoy man. And let us know what you think of them after you've had them for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back