Help with new vinyl setup
May 24, 2006 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

utarch00

500+ Head-Fier
I recently aquired a Pioneer PL-530. Does anyone know anything about this model? Anyway I needed a cartridge and wanted cheap so I was going to get a Grado Black. When I went to the local Hi-Fi store all they had was the Grado Blue, which is double then the Black. I wound up buying it because the sales man gave it to me for a little more than the Black. I am running the turntable out of an 80s Technics reciever for the moment. Headphone section is ok, not great.

My questions are:

1. In the chain of turntable, phonostage, amp, headphones, What are the pieces that affect the sound the most? Or rank the pieces in order from most effective to least.

2. I am thinking of getting a better phonostage. My budget will be $250 max preferable cheaper. Should I get a separate phonostage or a vintage reciever/amp with phono inputs. If I get a separate phonostage it will be paired will a millet for now.

3. I like a darker sound, so I am liking tubes and/or hybrids. Should I go with a tube or solid state phonostage? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks in advace.

May 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 5
After the quality of the pressing itself, the cartridge and stylus shape make the most difference to how records sound. Next, the tonearm. Then the quietness of the turntable itself. I'd say that the phono preamp makes the least difference.

See ya
Steve

May 25, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00
1. In the chain of turntable, phonostage, amp, headphones, What are the pieces that affect the sound the most? Or rank the pieces in order from most effective to least.

I've found that starting at the source and going out has worked best for me. I'd agree with bigshot about ordering, though I would say the phono stage can still make a *huge* difference.

Quote:

2. I am thinking of getting a better phonostage. My budget will be $250 max preferable cheaper. Should I get a separate phonostage or a vintage reciever/amp with phono inputs. If I get a separate phonostage it will be paired will a millet for now.

I suggest getting a separate phono stage. It gives you a lot more flexibility than an integrated stage. My own experience with rebuilding the lackluster Grado PH-1 has convinced me that you're probably better off building your own phono stage (if you're capable) at that price point. Even a very simple design sounds better than what you could buy off-the-shelf, so long as you use quality components.

Quote:

3. I like a darker sound, so I am liking tubes and/or hybrids. Should I go with a tube or solid state phonostage? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

The only phono stages that have really wowed me have been tube-based, though I wouldn't characterize the sound as "dark". I haven't heard any commercially made phono stages that could be had for $250 (or even twice that) that I would recommend. Almost all phono stages at that price are solid-state and sound fairly unimpressive. I don't know of any tube-based phono stages at that price other than the Bellari VP129, which I've heard sounds good, but I haven't heard myself.

If I were to spend $250 on a phono stage, I'd either build something myself or investigate the Bellari/used tube stages.

May 25, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

I don't know of any tube-based phono stages at that price other than the Bellari VP129, which I've heard sounds good, but I haven't heard myself.

The ASL Mini Phono is around $250, I think.

May 26, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Based on my experience:

*1. In the chain of turntable, phonostage, amp, headphones, What are the pieces that affect the sound the most? Or rank the pieces in order from most effective to least.*

In order of importance:
1. turntable itself ( if you start with a turkey table, nothing downstream can fix it )
2. tonearm ( if you have a ****** arm, no cartridge will fix it )
3. cartridge ( make sure it matches with arm and an impedance/gain with a phono )

*2. I am thinking of getting a better phonostage. My budget will be $250 max preferable cheaper. Should I get a separate phonostage or a vintage reciever/amp with phono inputs. If I get a separate phonostage it will be paired will a millet for now. *

I'd opt for a vintage reciever. But it's tricky to get the right one and serviced as new.
The only inexpensive phonostage I tried was Cambridge phono which was okey considering its cost. ( less than 100 $ ). Incidentaly I did try this phono with also a Pioneer turntable with its stock cartridge. But badly beaten by the internal phonostage of my Nait 3R. ( 1998 vintage but has new caps )

*3. I like a darker sound, so I am liking tubes and/or hybrids. Should I go with a tube or solid state phonostage? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?*

I am not sure if you can generalise a tube phono is always warmish. A hybrid phono I use sound more like solid state than a solid state phonos I own.
A disadvantage of some but not all valve phono stage is that it can run quite warm and valve maintenance.

A disadvantage of some of a solid state phonos ( mostly for the MC ) can be they are more prone to pick up a RFI depending on your location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back