Help with new system for 1600 usd
Feb 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nicholaus

Head-Fier
Current system: Onboard sound --> Logitech Z-2300

Future rig (My version): DacMagic (via USB) --> Adam A7 (possibly later a sub)

This is 90% for music listening,all genres.

I wanted to hear your thoughts for maybe any other suggestions.

(different DAC or soundcard,maybe passive speakers and a amp -->just has to be within budget and sound better than my thoughts)

Thanks,
Niko

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Haha, how exciting.
Your setup sounds sweet, but does not allow for headphone use.
Also, your upgradability is kind of limited because the monitors are performing a lot of duties for you (each one is a volume control, amplifier, and speaker). So if you want to upgrade later you will have to move in either another pair of active speakers or several separate components.

Here are some ideas:
Speaker wise I'd go with the Paradigm Reference Studio 20 (~$6-700). The rest of the stuff is variable:

Setup 1: - USB in > M-audio transit - optical out (~$100) > Presonus Central Station - analog out (~$500 at most) > tim rawson gainclone on audiogon (~$200)

Setup 2 (DIY)
Twisted Pear Audio Opus w/ USB input -> balanced out to -> twisted pear audio sympatico (cost is variable)

Setup 3:
Musical Fidelity V-DAC -> Custom AMB M^3 for speaker or Headphone use

Etc Etc

Think about doing DIY or getting people to build custom things for you, because this will give you a huge amount of flexibility.

The only thing I am worried about is USB input, because TI PCM270x based ones are the only ones available right now for DIY. If you had even more money, id say get a Lavry DA-11 and build the rest of your system around that. But in your case, the speakers warrant a little bit more money than other things.

PS. Look at Scott Nixon's USB DACs, I have one (the old version USB Chibi) and it is better than the Headamp Pico and the EMU 0404 USB.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 11
I know about the headphones,I was thinking of getting a headphone amp later (and use it with the Dacmagic,when I'm not using the monitors).

OR! I heard about a passive volume control... something like this --> M-Patch 2 (what do you think?)

As for your suggestions,great,thanks.I need to look everything up first,and I'll get back to you.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 11
I've heard the Adam A7 and think they are excellent. However, for not much more money ($1400 pair) you can have the Quad 12L Active, which are more musical and refined, in my opinion. They are the same as the passive bookshelf Quad 12L2 but come with two amps in each speaker.

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 11
very good speaker suggestions overall, although I'm curious why we're locked into USB only solutions, with such limited input/output complexes and pretty drab upgradability

also, can we please, PLEASE not get into "THIS IS BETTER THAN THAT" type statements, as most of this equipment is going to measure very closely, and the sonic differences are based on subjective preference, not rooted in objective fact

with both of those said, and with your budget in mind, I *really* like the E-MU 1820 or 1616m for you, as you'll have more than, more than enough outputs, and the quality is, well, the quality is very special (here I do get to throw words like "better" around, because are ~$400 interfaces that will measure on-par or better-than the LynxTWO, and in some cases (moreso for the 1820m, which is sadly EOL), on-par or slightly under the Lynx Aurora)

now, you can basically connect any and every accessory you could ever dream of, active monitors, headphones, headphone amplifiers, preamplifiers, receivers, mono/stereo power amplifiers, discrete D/A's, and so on
links:
buy:
E-MU 1820M
E-MU 1616M PCI - PCI Digital Audio System

learn:
E-MU 1820 Digital Audio System
E-MU 1616M

now the meta for that page says 1820M, and 1820M looks to be unavailable elsewhere, I'd much prefer that over the straight 1820, honestly idk what you'll get (probably the 1820, as the 1820m had a daughter card with BNC ports as well, and that isn't shown)

either the 1616m or 1820 would be solid performers, yes you'll have way more features than you'll likely ever use, but the quality is there, and expandability is there as well

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Ok,first the speakers.

The Paradigm's are out,because they aren't represented in my country.
I don't want to order online,customs will pump the overall price very much,and there is the issue with warranty.

As for the Quad 12L active,they are a bit much.Is the 400 USD difference worth it,compared to the Adams?

So far the E-MU 1616m looks good (1820 isn't available here).
I agree the card is a "little" overkill for my needs,but it looks like a great foundation.
I don't plan to upgrade too often,so I'm trying to get this right.

p.s. I assume I don't need an amp for my Denon D2000(with the E-MU 1616m)?

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Don't you have a store where you can sit down and listen? That will tell you much more.

How are the Croatian prices? I know the dacMagic is ~€400 here, so that would take a huge gap out of the budget.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 11
So far,I heard the Adam A7 and liked them. (bear in mind I listened to Logitech speakers 'till now,so that's not surprising).
I'm going to listen to the Quad 12L active in a few days,just wanted to hear Jeremy's opinion.

As for the prices here:

Adam A7 - 1000 USD
Quad 12L - 1500 USD
E-MU 1616m - 450 USD
dacMagic - 490 USD

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you have a store where you can sit down and listen? That will tell you much more.

How are the Croatian prices? I know the dacMagic is ~€400 here, so that would take a huge gap out of the budget.

I'm from Slovenia and my country is adjacent to Croatia and the price here is 350€. I just bought one
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far,I heard the Adam A7 and liked them. (bear in mind I listened to Logitech speakers 'till now,so that's not surprising).
I'm going to listen to the Quad 12L active in a few days,just wanted to hear Jeremy's opinion.

As for the prices here:

Adam A7 - 1000 USD
Quad 12L - 1500 USD
E-MU 1616m - 450 USD
dacMagic - 490 USD

My local Guitar Center in Los Angeles is selling the Adam A7s for about $1100 a pair, while my local Quad dealer is selling the 12L Active for $1400 a pair. But those prices won't be relevant if you're not in the US. For what it's worth, the Adams were designed for pro audio which means they are quite unforgiving in detail while the Quads are designed more for hifi usage and will probably sound more musical. I say probably because we all hear things differently. I stress again, I think the Adam A7s are fantastic, but if you have the opportunity to hear the Quads before making your decision it will at least enable you to know you made the right decision, whichever one it turns out to be.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok,first the speakers.

The Paradigm's are out,because they aren't represented in my country.
I don't want to order online,customs will pump the overall price very much,and there is the issue with warranty.

As for the Quad 12L active,they are a bit much.Is the 400 USD difference worth it,compared to the Adams?

So far the E-MU 1616m looks good (1820 isn't available here).
I agree the card is a "little" overkill for my needs,but it looks like a great foundation.
I don't plan to upgrade too often,so I'm trying to get this right.

p.s. I assume I don't need an amp for my Denon D2000(with the E-MU 1616m)?

the amp in the 1616m should drive the D2000 just fine, I've never heard the 1616m's headamp though, although the D2000 can be driven on the straight opamp outputs of most decent soundcards and be just fine as well, so I wouldn't be overly worried in that regard

I agree 110% with jeremy, listen to a couple things in your price range, including those quads, just to get an idea of what your choices are, so you're picking more out of desire, and less out of neccessity (if that makes sense)

for the money, I'd probably bill the 1616m as ahead of the DACMagic, it gives you a lot more features, saves you $40, and is priced realistically (the DACMagic is +$100 from its US pricing, honestly at nearly $500, I'm a bit weary, because you do have options like the 1616 in, or under, that price range, and they give you a ton more features (you can always add the DAC down the road, if you'd like to))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back