help with my xfi audio settings for gaming.
Nov 10, 2007 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bandit-aci-

New Head-Fier
hello guys. i am new here. i have been told that this is the best place to read about audio related stuff on the net. since it seems you are the best i would appreciate if i could get some advice.

i have little to no understanding how sound works in a pc. so what i would like is for some of you guys to give me some suggestions on which are the best settings for my xfi xtrememusic in gaming mode. i currently own that sound card and a pair of icemat siberia headphones. however, i will be getting a new pair of audiotechnica ad700 next week.

so, i would really like to take full advantage of what i have. to make my games sound the best they can ( mainly action packed FPS like americas army and bf2/bf2142.?
i know many of these settings are kind of personal preference.but, i really need the advice because every time i mess with the equalizer i screw my sound up

right now, i am using the following settings.
cmss-3d enabled.
24 bit crystalizer set to 60 %
equalizer set to flat.
eax enabled at 0db.
svm disabled.

i have bass boost enabled at 7db and the default cutoff freq.
i like how most of my setting do. however, im still very confused as to what the 24 bit crystalizer does. and i am 100% sure that if i new how to adjust my equalizer proberly i would achieve a better sound quality.

so can you gys give me some advice and suggestions on what settings should be the best for an average gamer?

thanks
Bandit

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Turn off CMSS 3D, crystalizer and restore boost to 0.0db. Put every volume control in the mixer to 100%, then use the main knob only to control overall volume. Turn off the equalizer. Just keep EAX on at 0db.
Now you can eventually turn on crystalizer but it will boost the volume off certain frequencies, so before you should get acquainted with the neutral sound of your card before adding any effect.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 10
ok so basically what you want me to do is turn everything off to get used to the normal sound of the sound card.
that does sound like a good way to start.
what should i do next?

thanks for the help man.

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 10
Do these different modes have much of an effect on the audio quality? I just bought the prelude to use as a gaming solution, and I was going to use my 0404|USB for listening to music, but I'm starting to wonder if I can just put the prelude in gaming mode (with Crystalizer and CMSS disabled) and still listen to music with the same quality of sound (with foobar asio and headphone amp), and remove the 0404|USB entirely?

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dabblerblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these different modes have much of an effect on the audio quality? I just bought the prelude to use as a gaming solution, and I was going to use my 0404|USB for listening to music, but I'm starting to wonder if I can just put the prelude in gaming mode (with Crystalizer and CMSS disabled) and still listen to music with the same quality of sound (with foobar asio and headphone amp), and remove the 0404|USB entirely?

The Prelude has higher end electronics components and thus better sound quality than the EMU0404, but don't ever listen to music in game mode. For that, go to audio creation mode, set speaker configuration to "2/2.1 speakers" and enable bit-matched playback in the "settings" menu. Then you can use ASIO output in foobar and get the very best sound quality out of the card.

You'll have to switch back to game mode before playing games but that's not very troublesome at all.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 10
for the best postional sound in gaming I personal use these settings in source. Make sure "Syncronize with Control Panel" is NOT checked in the game mode console. Set your windows / CSS settings to 5.1. Set your X-Fi Game Console's settings to 2.0/2.1 speakers, and turn CMSS3d on.

For music turn everything off but in counterstrike these settings rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back