Help with my receiver + Corda Headfive
Jan 12, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to hook my system up but nothing is working. The receiver is a Sony STR-DG800.

Currently I have 5 pieces in my loop.

Computer with X-fi Music
Receiver
Regular HT Speakers (Infinity Primus series)
Logitech Z5500 computer speakers
Corda Headfive

So, the only way to truly get 5.1 for gaming is to use "multi channel input", so I have my computer connected in two ways.

Computer --> Receiver using 3x mini to 2xRCA
This will allow me to hear the music/games on my regular HT speakers with 5.1 when I press input mode to "multi chan in"

To get my computer to work with the Z5500 speakers, I also have a mini-1RCA cable digital coaxial output, which runs to the SACD digital coaxial input.

I set input to SACD and I can hear music on the HT speaker system, or Logitech Z5500 speaker (MD/Tape digital coaxial out), BUT, I can't hear anything on my corda headfive. I've tried connecting it to video 1/2 outs, as well as Tape stereo out, but nothing.

I thought I could just connect it to any stereo RCA output and be able to hear sound but maybe I'm missing something. Any input is really appreciated!

Thanks !

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 5
If your card is not feeding to stereo rca - u will not get no sound. Check that. Also, isn't headfive usb based? So you'd be able to plug it into usb and then upon desire just switch what audiocard your computer is using? In my experience I even had a bithead running music and computer speakers running a game so I could separate the sounds.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your card is not feeding to stereo rca - u will not get no sound. Check that. Also, isn't headfive usb based? So you'd be able to plug it into usb and then upon desire just switch what audiocard your computer is using? In my experience I even had a bithead running music and computer speakers running a game so I could separate the sounds.

H5 is not USB based. The H5 might be broken... have you tried connecting the H5 to anything else to make sure that it works?
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 5
GuOD: You'd best check the manual of your Sony for signal routing/conversion limitations (which are pretty common, btw) - could be similar to my Yamaha RX-V650, for example: That will not output on the digital output what comes in via analogue line-in and vice versa. And the analogue multi-channel input plays an extra role - what comes in here can only leave the receiver through the speaker terminals, the multi-channel pre-outs and the headphone output, whereas there won't be a signal (neither front channels only nor complete stereo downmix) on the analogue line-outs and the digital output.

So, as a first try, I'd recommend to check whether you'll get a signal on your H5, if you feed in the front line-outs of the soundcard into one of the regular line-ins instead of the front jacks of the multi-channel-in. If that works (and it really should), a possible solution would be a switchbox for the front-outs of the soundcard, so you can alternatively feed the signal to a regular line-in for headphone amp use and to the multi-channel-in for ht-speaker use...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks everyone.

lini, I think you're right. It won't play analog sounds on digital outs and vice versa (I figured that) but the multi channel in I guess doesn't act as a regular stereo in. What I'm going to do is buy a splitter and split the Front L/R channel between the Multi Ch. In and MD/SACD RCA Analog input. Then I'll have Multi Ch In, Stereo Analog In, and Optical In all from my PC
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back