Help with my Power Supply
Sep 16, 2005 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

saab

500+ Head-Fier
OK, as I learn this fun hobby, I am needing help along the way. This case is no different. I am ready to hook up my power supply to my Millet Hybrid, and I need advice on how so I don't fry anything.

Here is what I have:

supply.jpg

Output:
output.jpg

info.jpg

diagram.jpg

What I want to know is how do I hook up the jack to this thing, and what to connect to the board.

Thanks
-John

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Legal Disclaimer: It's just a suggestion. So it blow up and it's ya fault. You bought it remember?

Humm ... For examples,

I live in Japan and I have 100VAC.

So I m supposed to connect 1 and 3. Then connect 2 and 4. Then apply 100VAC across 1 and 5.

You follow the instructions like I did with YOU outlet voltages.

I m not sure about S- and S+ ... You will have to pull out your volt-o-meter and check them out.

Don't forget the fuse ...

T

Sep 16, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur
The -S and +S is for remote sensing. You can leave them blank or ...
Connect the +S to the +Out and the -S to the -Out for slightly better regulation.

Here is an example:
http://www.power-one.com/technical/remote.html

Thank you, was wondering about the s's. This has helped.

-John

Sep 19, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Does it matter what kind of wires I use to hook this thing up? Gauge, material, sheilding, etc...

For a Millett Hybrid? Since the amp will draw less than 200mA total, assuming a relatively short run, it doesn't really require anything large. 22 gauge is ok, 18 gauge is borderline overkill. Just the usual hookup wire is fine, you don't need anything shielded. Keep that transformer far away from the amp board or you will induce magnetic interference (read: hum).

Sep 20, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok, thanks. So you obviously would not recomend them being next to eachother in the same wooden box?
tongue.gif

Would it be best to keep them in seperate enclosures? I guess that would be the safest bet.

Thanks, and any more advice for a noob is greatly appreciated; you know, like the stuff that I don't know that I don't know.
rolleyes.gif

-John

Sep 20, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Separate boxes are definitely the superior way to go, especially for those EI-core power transformers (which emit a strong magnetic field around them). If you put the power supply in the same box as the amp, allow as much distance between the two as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back