Help with my new AKG K712 PROs
Oct 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheBomb

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have had a pair of AKG K400 as long as i can remember.

I decided to purchase an AKG K712 PRO headphones for listening to music, mixing and mastering (I am trying to be a house music producer) nut i noticed that the k400s had more bass than the k712s which can't be possible if you look at their frequency response graphs.

Also the k712 PROs start to distort on higher volumes.

Can someone help me to troubleshoot the issue?

I am using a Sony ta-f235r as the amp and both headphones are 200mw.

Also you can feel the bass vibration on the k400 cups but not on the k712s.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Originally Posted by TheBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I decided to purchase an AKG K712 PRO headphones for listening to music, mixing and mastering (I am trying to be a house music producer) nut i noticed that the k400s had more bass than the k712s which can't be possible if you look at their frequency response graphs.

Press the earcups closer to your head. If the bass improves, that means you're comparing the K400 with mushier, squished earpads vs the K712 on fresh, stiff, thick earpads.

Also the k712 PROs start to distort on higher volumes.

As you crank up the volume THD increases with power. Damping factor doesn't improve either. You just need a more powerful amp at the impedance of the K712.

If this issue isn't present with the K400 it's possible that the distortion comes in but its response in the frequencies where it's most audible isn't as strong as the K712's.

Also you can feel the bass vibration on the k400 cups but not on the k712s.

The K712 is a newer design so if by "vibration" you mean more plastic rattling to tell you there's bass while obscuring the bass you should be hearing, kind of like if you're in a ghetto Escalade and all the glass and plastic vibrates with the bass, then the K712 is just more properly dampened. Kind if you put the same subwoofer from that ghetto Escalade into a richer rapper's Bentley.

Oct 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply!

I figured the distortion was being caused by the lack of power but i wanted to get a second opinion.

Can you suggest a solid state reference quality amp for these headphones? (i need something with a flat frequency response curve for mixing and mastering)

Is the AMB  β22 good enough?

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks for the reply!

I figured the distortion was being caused by the lack of power but i wanted to get a second opinion.

Can you suggest a solid state reference quality amp for these headphones? (i need something with a flat frequency response curve for mixing and mastering)

Is the AMB  β22 good enough?

Thanks!

Schiit Asgard 2
Violectric HPA V200
Bryston BHA-1
Auralic Taurus MKII

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 6

Technically yes, but also technically some amps can make more power than what they're rated for, but by that point THD and noise are very audible. Or some amps are rated at a higher power output level but also very near the audible noise threshold.

Meier Classic. I have the older Cantate.2 and it drives the K7-- series really well. You get slamming percussion when it needs it, like with classic rock and blues, but run slow jazz on it and it doesn't over emphasize those, compared to amps that have the effect of boosting the low end when the output impedance is a bit too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back