Help with my first (decent) headphones.
May 20, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my first amp/DAC the other day (Audio-gd Compass) and I can tell you that the sound quality difference is not subtle. They don't just 'give them more juice'.

For your price range, here is a short list of headphones you can afford that are generally liked/tolerated here:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Denon AH-D1001
Grado SR80
Alessandro MS-1
Beyerdynamic DT770/80

My friend with glasses did not like the comfort of Grado/Alessandro headphones with bowls, but he liked his SR225s so much that he started wearing contacts.

Open headphones tend to grip less (though not always, HD650s grip quite a bit), so something like AD700s might be best for you given the glasses. The D1001s don't grip all that much, though.

I haven't tried the MS-1, SR80 or DT770/80 myself, so I can't really help you with this on the subject of sound quality. Much has been said about all of them, so you could easily find the information by doing a search.

I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's, but they need an amp to have "punch"...
I hear great things from the AD700's! Haven't tried them myself, but they should do fine in music, movies, games, ect...

May 20, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's, but they need an amp to have "punch"...

Not only that, they also cost almost 3 times as much as the AD700s :\
Anyway after being undecided for a while amongst the AD700 and the 1001s at the end I ordered the AD700s (it's been a bit of a random choice, I was really undecided) out of eBay just a while ago, it seems the only way to have them shipped to Italy without having to pay their "converted price in €", that for some reason is around 130€ (~170$) against the 99$ (69€) from Amazon.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I receive them and if I'll be able to find and scavenge that amp :p

And of course thank you all for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back