Help with "my" e3c's
Feb 11, 2005 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
So im auditioning a pair of e3c's from my friend and so far i like them except for a few things. number 1 is that he only had the medium sized tips (they're the rubbery black kind) on him because he forgot the small ones. so when i cram the e3c's in my ears they stay...for a while then after a while they just slide out and i dont even notice until a big bass hit is noticed missing. would having the small rubbery tips help or would they eventually slide out just beause they're so smooth? the other problems are with comfort etc, such as do i need to have the suction feeling to know that they're in and sealed well? i really dont like the feeling, but might get used to it, who knows. other than that i dont see any problems so far, people complain about the highs being rolled off and the bass being muddy but i dont hear any of that. although im not a super audiophile like most of you guys (i think the px100 sound amazing
tongue.gif
)

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 11
I have the same problem with my soft tips. That's why I went back to the foamies. It's a consistently good seal, they don't fall out, and they don't make my eyes do this -
blink.gif
. The only problem I have with them is that they can sometimes make my ears itch (that way-down nasty itch) if I get them in too deep. Also, you have to replace them because they start losing their form.

Jonathan

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 11
I tried all the tips (except the foamies; I got mine used), and I could achieve a lasting seal with any of the soft sleeves, period. I had virtually the same experience as you. I didn't care for the regular sleeves, but I sucked it up with the mediums. Now, the regulars don't bother me anymore. I can comfortably sleep with them , or walk around campus and do hw.

I came from the px200s, and at first, disappointingly, didn't notice much of a difference. As I listend more, I was able to pick up a lot more of the intricacies of the music.

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 11
I tried all of the sleeves. The soft small sleeve would go in and out of seal because my ear canal was too wide. The medium soft sleeve would go in, but OMG was it hard to get into my ear. It gave me ears a horrible feeling since it was so broad as well. The large ones couldn't even get in my ears. So I tried the foamies. Those were a welcome change, and I really liked them. However, the foamies quickly had to be disposed of because they were worn out and dirty. I then switched to the "hard" sleeves (I had also tried them before I tried the soft ones, but at the time, they seemed too hard). I tried the small hard sleeve, and I got an absolutely perfect seal and the sound actually seemed a bit crisper (did I just imagine this?) than with the soft ones (soft ones made it slightly muddy; very subliminal difference, though). Anything above the small hard sleeve didn't fit my ear. So in the end, I picked the small hard sleeve as my favorite.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 11
how do the e3c's fit problems compare with the ER-6i's fitting?

ps. ive been using the medium soft tips a bit more and i've gotten the hang of them i think but they still dont stay in for more than like a half hour
rolleyes.gif
. hopefully with large assortement of tips that shure supplies i will be able to find the one for me

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 11
The shure's are more comfortable than the etymotic in my opinion. My ear canals are very small for whatever reason, i'm fairly big (6"1' 180 lbs). I always thought ear canals would be proportional.. oh well. Anyway, I cannot for the life of me use anything other than the small size, I hate the foamies because they just don't do it for me.. Shure provides such a crazy amount of tips its quite easy to find a good one, but to be honest I really like the triple flange ones. They isolate VERY well and are super comfortable to me.

Also, sound quality is sick on the shure's.. a very musical experience.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 11
i cant decide for the life of me between the er6i and the e3c's. the e3c's are ok looking but cant compete with the sexyness of the er6i (especially with my silver micro). what the 6 has in the highs i looses in the low to the 3's and vica verca. i dont want to go any higher in price so the er4's are out. the er6i's have a bit more isolation (or so i've heard) but i've heard many problems with the tripple flange system. i dont know, i think i need to find som er6i's locally and audition them but i cant find any places. does anyone know were the er6i's are at a real store so i can try them out. or someplace where they dont have them on display but i can return easily with a full refund and NO restocking fee's?

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 11
My e2c's took about a week to really get used to, now i can pop em in in a couple seconds (With the soft flex sleeves).

I haven't tried the e3c's, but i'm guessing they're the same way, you'll get used to them.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 11
I would choose the E3s over the 6is anyday, and even over the ER4. The ER4 sound thin, but the Er4 make up for such with their great detail. The 6i's also sound horribly thin, (and dont have anything too especial to make up for that) but their high end is nothing especial compared to the E3, and yet looses to the E3 on both low and and mids especially. Get the 6is only if you listen to them and prefer them to the E3s. The E3s however sound fuller, and in my opinion the midrange is even better than that of the ER4.

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 11
Agreed - I love my e2cs, they're very musical, and I've debated upgrading to E3cs if not just for the smaller size. I love to sleep with headphones and it would be great if I could sleep with my canalphones - but alas, the e2c's are far too large for that. Once I get enough money I'll probably just upgrade to e3cs... as long as I can sell off the e2's
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back