Help with my crappy 5.1 Home Theater
Jun 20, 2020 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mompy7777

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Im having this issue that’s driving me crazy and I need help from more experienced users like you guys:

I have this 5.1 Phillips Home Theater/Blu-ray player, the exact model is htb3520/55, I know it’s not super high end but I was kind of satisfied with the sound for the last 4 years, also with this COVID situation I can not afford a new equipment for now.

Basically what happens is that I’m not getting sound from the front right channel at all when using it from a HDMI source (which I use 99% of the time) so there is no way I’m getting proper sound from my cable box, PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

These are the options I tried:

-Using an optical cable, which “fix” the issue, but only my PS4 has optical output, the HDMI still doesn’t work, also HDMI used to have so much more quality with uncompressed audio so I kind of want going back to that

-Using a different HDMI cable, even a 2.0 doesn’t help.

-Upgrading the firmware didn’t help.

-Replacing the front right speaker with another one also doesn’t work, so I’m sure is not the speaker itself neither the wire connection.

-Switching from uncompressed audio to all the options available from the settings.

-When I play a video, audio, Blu-ray etc directly from the home theater the sound works just fine, it’s driving me crazy on why the front right speaker doesn’t work when I try to feed the sound from an HDMI source

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide me!

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey,if you Google HDMI failures on AVRs you will realize that its the number #1 reason why people trash the old one and buy a new one. Planned obsolescence,owner misuse or crappy design? Probably a bit of all three.

I just bought a new AVR after my HDMI board crapped out on my six year old NAD AVR.

Apparently the number one reason the HDMI boards fail is due to AVRs being crammed into a small,tight space with little room for the internal heat to disperse.

I would do your research and find something you can afford and fits your specific needs,and then find an open spot to place it so heat wont trash it.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey,if you Google HDMI failures on AVRs you will realize that its the number #1 reason why people trash the old one and buy a new one. Planned obsolescence,owner misuse or crappy design? Probably a bit of all three.

I just bought a new AVR after my HDMI board crapped out on my six year old NAD AVR.

Apparently the number one reason the HDMI boards fail is due to AVRs being crammed into a small,tight space with little room for the internal heat to disperse.

I would do your research and find something you can afford and fits your specific needs,and then find an open spot to place it so heat wont trash it.
Thank you, it makes a lot of sense

Edit: Now I’m more confused

My tv has an optical output as well, and the right channel is not working there neither, just my ps4 when using an optical cable, it just doesn’t make any sense, I tried with all the different audio settings

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 5

I think 2 of the 3 factors are MUCH bigger contributors. Planned obsolescence is one of my pet peeves, and one of the biggest contributors to landfills. It doesn’t even matter if you buy expensive and seemingly “high quality” items.

Sorry about your HT.

Venting over......thanks.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Edit: Now I’m more confused

My tv has an optical output as well, and the right channel is not working there neither, just my ps4 when using an optical cable, it just doesn’t make any sense, I tried with all the different audio settings
Youre right. It makes no sense.
Are there any different cables/interconnects/electronics in line between all of those things that are not in-line when using the PS4? If so it could be a failure in one of those products.
Did the balance on the AVR get turned all the way to left by chance?
Other than that im out of ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back