HELP with my a/v reciever
Oct 9, 2005 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

calvinhobs

100+ Head-Fier
I realized I posted this in the for sale category by accident earliery...here's my question:

I'm looking for a "Y" audio cable that has optical on one end and rca (left/right) on the other end. What I want to do is connect the optical out end to my a/v reciever input and have it go to my tv for a left/right channel (red/white) input. Is a cable like this available?

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Optical audio connections are digital and the left/right RCA connections on your TV are analog, so you need a full-blown ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). If possible I'd reccomend just using the analog RCA inputs on your receiver instead.

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Okay, I looked again and here's what I've found...

My receiver is an all-in-one machine, it's a receiver/cd/sacd/dvd player and the only thing I don't like about it is that doesn't have an RCA out to go to the TV so I can use my tv speakers. My only option is to use the speakers out of my receiver which for now isn't optimal. So I guess it isn't a big deal...just more of a pain. Plus I have a separate DVD player that I want to now connect instead of my combo player so I'll have to use that component to connect to my tv and have the audio go to my receiver since my receiver doesn't have any component IN, just the component out. Damn...ah well, I'll make it work.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Oh, I mis-understood you. I though you wanted to go from your TV to your receiver, not the other way around. In that case you need a digital to analog converter (a DAC). The cheapest (decent) ones will cost you about $75 (I'd reccomend the Art DI/O for $100). A seperate DVD player would probably be cheaper though (it'd only cost you about $60 and you can find them at any retail store, whereas you'd have to order your DAC off the internet or go to a specialty store (like Guitar Center or a hi-fi boutique).

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Oh, I mis-understood you. I though you wanted to go from your TV to your receiver, not the other way around. In that case you need a digital to analog converter (a DAC). The cheapest (decent) ones will cost you about $75 (I'd reccomend the Art DI/O for $100). A seperate DVD player would probably be cheaper though (it'd only cost you about $60 and you can find them at any retail store, whereas you'd have to order your DAC off the internet or go to a specialty store (like Guitar Center or a hi-fi boutique).

Thanks Mr. Radar...that's what I was figuring. I'm just going to use my DVD player and have it be separate from my combo receiver. It'd be nice to have a DAC but for how much I'd use it I'll just pass. It isn't optimal but I'll make it work. Thanks again-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back