help with mountain biking rig
Jan 19, 2007 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Headphoneus Supremus
hey gang,
at my work it has spread that i am a headphone guru..so a co-worker comes up to me and says that he bought a pair of shure 2e at bestbuy and was thinking of returning it for the bose iem. he mainly uses these to mountain bike so he said he doesnt need to hear things around him. he is using it out of an ipod. i told him no, dont return the shure for the bose..now i am not well conversed in the iem. what is the best sounding bang for buck? or the sweet spot if you will i.e grado225ish...among the shure and ety line? and prices and where can he order them from? thanks in advance,
saving the world from bose one listener at a time
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 12
I would second the Super.fi (vs. the Ety line up) as they fit around the ear and less likely to fall off when bouncing around on a mtn bike. Purchase on line.
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/ule...FSgDYgod2EvQJw
as they are a sponsor or check Amazon or google it.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 12
I mountain bike on a very regular basis, and in my experience, you do NOT want to be totally isolated from the environment. The audio cues fed into your brain help out the rider much more than one would realize, and being totally isolated doesn't bode well for people needing to pass, be passed, or sensing trail hikers/joggers.

It's more likely that your friend needs something to stave off some of the loneliness or boredom that sometimes comes with solo rides.
I don't know which cans to recommend, but isolating IEM's is a poor choice.
just my humble opinion.

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 12
according to 1911, the only living thing out there that could get in the way of his bike is a slow moving turtle, so complete isolation shouldn't be a problem
wink.gif

btw i'm near to closing the deal on one more bike, good stuff!

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't know, if there's turtles out there, then there's other living things as well. Being totally sound isolated when on the trail is not something I recommend.

I have come across other riders using ipods on the trail with the volume cranked, and they come off as rude riders, b/c they don't realize anyone is around them or near them until you're literaly in their face.

Using something that allows them to still have some access to the world around them would be a much better choice. I think.

...What kind of bike are you adding to the stable? an Intense spider 29er?
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 12
what kind of bikes do you guys own/ride??
i ride a 2005 giant reign with marzocchi z1 light, hayes 9s, mavic crossmax XL, truvative hozfeller cranks, LX or X-9 drive terrain.

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Not to get the thread too sidetracked, but my main bike is a Schwinn Homegrown 4Banger that I converted to a straight6:

74125133-M.jpg

I would never want to wear isolating IEM's while flying through the trails! too much other stuff to concentrate on!

Jan 19, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 12
he is close to being a professional....he competes in races and things..

so the consensus is ety or superfi not the shure?

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 12
My boss has this thing (have to ask what it is) that you plug your MP3 into that's wireless. So you have a clip on you that your plug your headphones into, so you're not connected to the bike. This way, you have your own MP3 player, as well as your own headphones.

I sold him a shuffle and his rig is SUPER portable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back