HELP with malware and IE
Aug 24, 2004 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

finleyville

100+ Head-Fier
Anyway,

I do not know how it happened, but my internet explorer acquired some malware. Often it will try to open new windows to nowhere then close them. My status bars will lose its settings often. Plus if I open more than one IE window at a time(which I do often) the second one often freezes the whole computer. I can't even Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it. I have run a updated anti-virus, spyware, adware programs to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas I can do without changing my browser?

On a related note, I have tried to clense my registry of reoccurring loading adware/malware and unable to do it. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like you're going to have to run hijackthis. Head on over to the security forum on dslreports, there are a bunch of trained techs there who will tell you what to remove in your log. Don't go deleting it one your own otherewise it'll really **** thing up.

They like you to run these steps first though or they'll get pissy.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 17
Download the latest build of Adaware from Lavasoft's website. Once installed, click on update to make sure you have the latest reference files. Also, make sure you run a full scan. Once finished, clear out all the crap it found, get out of the program and reboot. After you reboot, run the scan again, and reboot. This should get you up and running again. Do you know what kind of malware is on your system? If this still doesn't do it, then hop on over to Lavasoft's forums, and the guys over there will get rid of it. They are extremely helpful, but be patient, as they are all volunteers and very busy. good luck.

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 17
i personally use adaware and it did clear up lots of crap in my computer.
while you are at it, use mozilla or firefox instead when you want to browse dangerous websites.

Aug 24, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 17
After you've run Adaware, I would encourage you to download the 30 day free trialware from www.webroot.com called SpySweeper. You may be surprised to find it finds more malware/spyware after you've "cleaned" your machine with Adaware.
Cheers!

Aug 24, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 17
You should also run the free Spybot Search & Destroy. That, combined with AdAware, is what most people use to remove spyware. For the really nasty stuff you can also use HijackThis, though it can screw up your computer if used improperly. CWShredder is your only option if you're infected with CoolWebSearch or one of it's varients (Spybot S&D and AdAware don't completely remove it, and it is self-reinstalling if any of it is left).

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You should also run the free Spybot Search & Destroy. That, combined with AdAware, is what most people use to remove spyware. For the really nasty stuff you can also use HijackThis, though it can screw up your computer if used improperly. CWShredder is your only option if you're infected with CoolWebSearch or one of it's varients (Spybot S&D and AdAware don't completely remove it, and it is self-reinstalling if any of it is left).

Yup, you can run all this stuff or you can simply run SpySweeper and be done with it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 17
For a while, I only used Spybot. Then one day I encountered some very serious problems that Spybot missed. I mean, my PC was running wild.
eek.gif

I quickly downloaded Lavasoft's Personal Ad-Aware for free and did a scan. Voila! Ad-Aware identified the spyware, and I was able to remove all the harmful stuff.
biggrin.gif

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 17
bootman:

At the Lavasoft site...
--Go to the menu on your left.
--Under Software, click on Ad-Aware Personal.
--On the new page, go to the right menu's download.
--On this new page, go to the bottom of the page.
--Click on a site that offers a free download.
--Get your free download at this new site.
--The name of the program is Ad-Aware Personal SE.

I really don't know why Lavasoft does NOT offer a more direct download. In my case, I was confused by all that clicking. However, I'm delighted with the final results! I mean, my PC was really going wild! Now, after using Ad-Aware, my PC is running smoothly once again.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Anti-Virus...
I use Norton Anti-Virus. However, Norton did NOT find a virus. Results? I really got scared! That's precisely when I decided to try Lavasoft's Ad-Aware!

Does this post answer your question?

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 17
Definatly download AdAware, and then Spybot, and after that take some preventitive measures by downloading Firefox and Spyware Blaster.

Download.com for all of them.

Good Hunting!

Aug 31, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
After you've run Adaware, I would encourage you to download the 30 day free trialware from www.webroot.com called SpySweeper. You may be surprised to find it finds more malware/spyware after you've "cleaned" your machine with Adaware.
Cheers!

I just tried out SpySweeper. I think I like it better than Spybot Search&Destroy. I like the interface much better. It also found things that Spybot missed. I didn't have anything serious, just the usual Alexa and stuff.
I put up the sheild, so we'll see how that works.
It took 24 minutes to scan my 67,000 files
eek.gif
I think I need to clean out some stuff in here.
tongue.gif

kwkarth, do use ony other products from this company, like thier firewall, or window washer?

Aug 31, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I just tried out SpySweeper. I think I like it better than Spybot Search&Destroy. I like the interface much better. It also found things that Spybot missed. I didn't have anything serious, just the usual Alexa and stuff.
I put up the sheild, so we'll see how that works.
It took 24 minutes to scan my 67,000 files
eek.gif
I think I need to clean out some stuff in here.
tongue.gif

kwkarth, do use ony other products from this company, like thier firewall, or window washer?

Spysweeper is the only Webroot product I use. I've been using that software for almost two years and regularly check it's capability against other products. In almost two years there was only one time when another program, SpyHunter, found something in the registry that SpySweeper missed. In another week the same spyware signature showed up in SpySweeper's database. Since that time, they've been ahead of the pack consistently.
I'm a utility junkie so if you want to chat about other good utilities, shoot me a PM or something...
Cheers!
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 17
Ad-Aware did NOT fix mine this time. I have Version 6.0 Professional.

I used McAfee Virus Scan, and it finally fixed it. Version 8.0 Build 8.0.41, engine 4.3.20, Engine DAT 4.0.4388, DAT date 8/25/2004- The older DAT's did not fix mine.

I am going to try the other software that you talked about.

AFTER reading about this Virus, I changed all important (read financial) passwords since this one e-mailed them somewhere. I had a feeling, because this problem only occured with logged onto sites!

Good luck, and yeah, yeah, yeah....I have McAfee and its ok for me at this time, though I know there are better ones out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back