Help with MAD EAR+ HD Purist and K701 sounding boring?
Aug 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Twinster

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a used MAD EAR+ HD ( Sovtek 5751 and JJ Sylvania 12B4A) and while testing it with my headphones I was very disappointed of the music my AKG K701 (with SAA Equinox) produced with the MAD. I even reconnect my X-Can V8 to confirm that the phone were fine and it was sounding good as usual with the MF.

The music was lifeless with the MAD, the volume has to be at 10:00 (to be expected) and it was very boring. The music with the SR-225 and the Denon D2000 was excellent and engaging but based on what I read I had better expectation for the K701. I also tried to replace the 5751 by another Sovtek 12AX7WB That it suppossed to provide more gain but had the same result.

Can anyone provide any recommendation that can add some life to this MAD/701 combo?

Thank you
Simon

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 9
Hang in there. I much preferred my Ear+ HD with the K702s to any of my other amps (GLite, C2, etc.). I'd suggest ditching the Sovtek and going with a nice American NOS tube -- my favorite is the RCA 7025, often said to have the gain of a 12AX7 and the sweetness of a 5751. Don't bother rolling the 12BA4s, as yours should be fine and I found differences to be minimal.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Those cans are polar opposites with the Ear+ HD. It takes the edge off the K70X's exaggerated treble, but it accentuates the warm and soothing nature of the HD650s. If you can afford it, I'd suggest keeping the AKGs until you've auditioned the Senns, as they're really very different headphones and, honestly, you may not like the difference. I personally prefer the HD650s, but we all hear different things.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 9
thats weird you would think that would be a great combo....
 well if it dosent work aout ai will take that mad off your hands

but double triple check all the tubes before you make your final thought... i had tube problems before, thought it was the amp,not so , even if tubes test good, u might just have  crap tubes and or bad synergy

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Those cans are polar opposites with the Ear+ HD. It takes the edge off the K70X's exaggerated treble, but it accentuates the warm and soothing nature of the HD650s. If you can afford it, I'd suggest keeping the AKGs until you've auditioned the Senns, as they're really very different headphones and, honestly, you may not like the difference. I personally prefer the HD650s, but we all hear different things.

i would think it a good combo to have the mad smooth out the 701  treble,, if it was a little too bright at times., but this is just speculation

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 9
When I had the K701 and the MAD Ear +HD the sound was superb! Although IMO the Grado's sounded even better out of the MAD. Do get a higher quality driver tube and hopefully the sound will improve to your liking. If not sell the amp, you should be able to break even. Cheers.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 9
Techenvy, I'll keep your name if I ever want to change my mind (but don't bet on it) becasueI really like it with my SR225 (Woody) and my Denon D2000 (Markl mod) so I think the AKG might be the next on the block (Maybe cause they shine with my other Amp).

MRarroyo, I'm betting  (and winning so far) on better driver tube right now. I'm trying to get the RCA 7025 recommended by Olias and some GE 5751 5 Stars Black Plate. Hopefully that should help. I will also rolled the other tubes (12B4A). The amp came with six pair so maybe the one I'm using are defect (but they sound good with the other cans???)

Again Thank you for your inputs to all of you. This forum is great and my Wife and Wallet hate you all.
biggrin.gif

Simon

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Techenvy, I'll keep your name if I ever want to change my mind (but don't bet on it) becasueI really like it with my SR225 (Woody) and my Denon D2000 (Markl mod) so I think the AKG might be the next on the block (Maybe cause they shine with my other Amp).

MRarroyo, I'm betting  (and winning so far) on better driver tube right now. I'm trying to get the RCA 7025 recommended by Olias and some GE 5751 5 Stars Black Plate. Hopefully that should help. I will also rolled the other tubes (12B4A). The amp came with six pair so maybe the one I'm using are defect (but they sound good with the other cans???)

Again Thank you for your inputs to all of you. This forum is great and my Wife and Wallet hate you all.
biggrin.gif

Simon

nice, i am super jealous of your amp:)  i have always wanted to try the akg too.
 and olias gave u some good recommendations,, ge black plates are great!!!  
have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back