Help with M-audio Transit output at 24bit/96kHz
Jul 27, 2006 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sdheda

Head-Fier
I need help getting my M-audio Transit to work properly.

The current settings I use are 2in, 2out, 16bit, 8000-48000Hz with Latency set at Very High. This setup works fine with ASIO in foobar.

The problem arises when I try to set the output at 0in, 2out, 24bit, 88200-96000Hz with Latency set at Very High. The settings in foobar are 24 bit output, SRC set at 96000 sinc best. At these settings there are audio drops when playing a track. When I first start playing a track it seems fine, and then there are audio drops that just get worse with time. I think that problem is latency, because if I change the latency setting to a lower value in the Transit cp, the drops become more frequent.

I am using foobar 0.8.3 because I am using Mediaportal on a HTPC and their plugin only works with 0.8.3.

Any suggestions how I can solve this problem.

I also have a question to all the people that are using the transit in 24/96 mode. Are you still able to play movies, etc. in this mode without any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I use the same settings, but am running Foobar 9.2.

Steve at Emperical Audio suggested it was better to stick with 8.3, but I didn't backtrack after I had 9.2 configured.

Anyway, I had the same issues at first until I adjusted the buffer length in Foobar Preferences>output to maximum
(8000 ms). It seemed to cure the problem completely for me; I have no idea why. I just followed instructions from someone else here who seemed to know what they were talking about. I may have changed another setting at the same time, but I don't remember doing so.

No problem with movies (I use PowerDVD 7.0 w/ advanced audio package).

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 9
I cannot find that option, it must be in a different place in foobar 0.8.3.

I also tested the line-out, and I don't experience any audio drops when listening through the line out, so the problem is only related to the optical out.

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda
I cannot find that option, it must be in a different place in foobar 0.8.3.

I also tested the line-out, and I don't experience any audio drops when listening through the line out, so the problem is only related to the optical out.

Hmm.
Go to Steve's computer audio page on the Empirical Audio Website, http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

Scroll down to transit settings; there are screenshots included for 0.83. Lots of other useful information on this site also.

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
In that case I would imagine your DAC is having trouble handling the incomming signal at 96Khz.

I dont think that it is a DAC problem, because my DAC can handle upto 192kHz.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 9
This may sound dumb, but I am going to say it anyway.

Maybe the problem is my optical cable. The cable I am using is a generic one, and when I move the connector a little out, the crackling goes away somewhat.

I plan on buying a glass optical cable, most likely this one. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 9
My Transit outputs 96Khz 24-bit to my DAC through a $15 3-foot optical cable I bought off of eBay, and I'm using the Secret Rabbit Code resampler.

Doing high quality resampling at 96Khz take a lot of CPU time, so make sure that your CPU isn't causing the lag problems. Make sure that Foobar has high priority (in Foobar settings, not task manager). If your optical cable really sucks, it might be causing the problem; I've heard of plastic optical cables having problems over long distances.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda
This may sound dumb, but I am going to say it anyway.

Maybe the problem is my optical cable. The cable I am using is a generic one, and when I move the connector a little out, the crackling goes away somewhat.

I plan on buying a glass optical cable, most likely this one. Maybe that will solve the problem.

You may be right. I had forgotten that I upgraded my optical cable at the same time I was finalizing my Transit/Foobar settings. However, I didn't get a glass cable. I bought a plastic cable, but with excellant connectors "hardwired" to both ends: http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=219

Before that, I was using radio shack snap-on miniplug adpaters with a generic plastic toslink cable. I've never used a glass cable, so I don't know if I'm missing anything or not. I do know, and had frankly forgotten, that I got a performance bump when I changed to the cable above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back