May 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kiteki

aka Theta Alpha 1
aka Alpha Zeta 5
aka Alpha Zeta 6
aka Nanocat Systems
And many other aliases
Hi,

I bought LT1028csw from here - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-2x-Mono-Dual-OPAMP-2x-LT1028-NE5532-OPA2604-/290606645188

When I use it in my DAC and connect IEM's directly to the RCA out, there is a lot of distortion, especially with bass.

When I connect my DAC to my stereo amplifier everything sounds excellent - why?  This happens with no other op-amp so I'd like to isolate what's happening with the LT1028.

Thanks in advance for any help, and links to literature on op-amp's please!

Here is a link to start - http://www.sakurasystems.com/articles/Op-amps%20Junji.html

Thx.

Sincerely,

kiteki

May 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 9
May 29, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 9
LT1028 isn't strictly unity gain stable - requires compensation for low gains and capacitive loads - there is a external compensation pin, requires unusually large >100 pF compensation C to make a difference

it has odd dependency on source, feedback R damping for stability at low gains without compensation

you may have oscillation or bursts of oscillation, possibly depending on cable, load properties

it also doesn't have very high output current spec, Aol droops heavily with sub 500 Ohm loads - I wouldn't use it to directly drive low Z

I have designed a strain gage amp with the LT1028, wrung it out on the bench - datasheet is unusually good but needs to be read thoroughly, with a trained eye for the engineering subtleties they are conveying, or "hiding" in the graphs

May 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, what could happen if you directly drive low Z like a 16 ohm IEM?

What do these specs in the datasheet imply more precisely?

"ZO Open-Loop Output Impedance VO = 0, IO = 0 80 80 W
IS Supply Current 7.4 9.5 7.6 10.5 mA"

What do you think of this summary from the seller?

"HOW GOOD LT1028 IS?!
Its CMRR up to 126db and PSRR up to 132db, and it can work at +-22v working voltage.

How it sound?
It have crystal clear transparency and incomparable details. Almost no ther opamp sound better in this two charactristics. While some audiophile say it sound too lean and lack warm mid. Some audiophiles do not like too analytical sound.
But I think no one can challenge its 'high fidelity' performance."

I'm using it in this DAC (Asahi AK4396) - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/186245-dac-2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a.html

If the cable specs are a variable they are -

1. [size=x-small]Conductor resistance: 36 mΩ [/size]
  2. [size=x-small]Distribution inductance: 2 μH [/size]
  3. [size=x-small]Capacitance: 131PF [/size]
  4. [size=x-small]Diameter: OD08 * 2F [/size]
  5. [size=x-small]Length: 3m [/size]
  6. [size=x-small]Spec: OD8.0mmX2C L=3m [/size]
  7. [size=x-small]OFC copper[/size]

The IEM in the picture is JVC FX500 -

HP-FX500 主な仕様

型式 ダイナミック型
再生周波数帯域 8 Hz~25,000 Hz
出力音圧レベル 100 dB/1 mW
最大許容入力 200 mW(IEC ※規格)
インピーダンス 16Ω
コード OFC約0.8mY型(+0.7m延長コード)
プラグ 24金メッキステレオミニプラグ
付属品 シリコンイヤーピースS、M、L各2個、低反発イヤーピース2個、0.7 m延長コード(φ 3.5 mm 24金メッキステレオミニジャック-φ 3.5 mm 24金メッキステレオミニプラグ)、キャリングケース×1
質量
(コード含まず)
7.5 g

I connect to my stereo receiver via RCA, pretty much the same cable.

I'm using FX500 as an example but pretty much every single IEM I've used has really high distortion with the LT1028, so I thought it didn't like the circuit in the DAC, and then it sounds excellent connected to my stereo->IEM, stereo->speakers, heh?

May 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 9
his numbers are a bit jibberish, use the datasheet. it will be current limited driving such low impedance and probably voltage too, as it will not swing anywhere near the rails into that load. the current and unity gain w/o compensation (as jcx mentions) will be your main problem, especially as its likely your 16ohm IEMs present a much lower impedance at some frequencies.

in short I wouldnt even bother trying it, pick an opamp that has higher current output into low impedance. its an instrumentation amp and an extremely good one, driving high impedance (like a buffer, or your amps input) its a superb chip, one of my favorites. so your choices are to either use a different chip, or add a buffer stage, if you want to drive lowZ directly

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I just started experimenting with op-amps in Jan of this year so I can't read every spec. on the sheet yet.

I don't need to drive low Z directly, however I'd like to hear the IC's directly.  Especially in blind listening - a long chain of components is too counter intuitive as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by rickcr42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

there is a slew of buffers available and all sound different.the BUF634 is and always has been known as a "dark" sounding part [/] etc.

So here is my next question.

I'm satisfied with the LT1028 connected to my stereo, so now I'd like a pure headphone amp design suitable for OPA627, correct voltage supply etc., portable is ideal, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Just a quick update.  The LT1028 improved in directly driving an IEM when I increased the resistance from 16 ohm to 91 ohm, however it still didn't sound perfect, anyway it seems like that was the issue... until I connected this to an amplifier, and on the lowest volume the amplifier would turn on and off rapidly, so the LT1028 is still acting strange compared to all other op-amps and I'm not using it.

I like the sound of the OPA827 better anyway from this experience, and most likely AD797 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back