Help with iPod amp purchase
Oct 10, 2003 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to get an amp to complement my iPod / ER4P rig. I cannot decide what to buy. I have been looking at either the Headsave Transit, or Headsave Mint.

What options are worth the money? I see options like additional buffers and upgraded potentiometer's, upgrade to AD 8620 op amp, upgrade CRD's to bias to class "A", etc...

HELP
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'm not an electrical engineer! I just want really good portable sound.

Do I want mint pcb or META42??????????????????

Oct 10, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Or just to make it a wider range of options, the Xin SuperMini or SuperMicro?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I'd be very interested in hearing people's opinions about this range of choices, not having heard any of them myself...

Oct 10, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the SuperMini V6, Ety ER4P and iPod. LOVE IT!!!

Ultraportable, excellent sound quality, long battery life, and, I had Xin add the necessary resistance to the amp to make the ER4P into the ER4S (no external adapter to worry about).

Highly recommended! In fact, I generally end up listening to this combo at home more than my home rig (the benefits of having a big chunk of my music available all the time trumps whatever sonic differences my old ears can discern between setups).

Obviously, YMMV. But this setup works nicely for me.

BTW: would also recommend the HeadRoom iPod bags. They hold the iPod securely, provide stowage for a small amp well, the Ety's fit snuggly, and allow you to clip everything safely to your belt (or you can use the shoulder strap).

Good luck!
Bruce

Oct 10, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 12
Hey BDA_ABAT,

I see in your profile that you have a JMT Mint. How does it compare to the Xin? and do your KSC35's still sound OK with the Xin, even though you added the "P" to "S" adapter?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Using a Xin supermini with Grado SR-125 and the iPod (no remote) was the first time I enjoyed an iPod's sonics. I would consider his supermicro because it is smaller, has a firmer power supply, and long battery life.

Only drawback to supermicro is that it interferes with radio reception on portables that use the headphone cable as an antenna.

Oct 10, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 12
I have the fully upgraded Headsave Transit + Ipod + ER-4P + P to S adapter cable. I previously had a supermini v6. Compared to the v6, the Transit is superior. The bass is deeper, highs cleaner, sounds more natural, less bright, and a much fuller soundstage. Not only does it expand the sounds left and right, but you can hear more depth in front and a little in back. I somehow still bet this would sound better than the current supermicro (haven't compared, so just a guess). The micro wins on size by far but if that doesn't matter, the Transit can also use a power supply to give it 24v vs the micro's 5v or the mini's 12v with boost using the same op8020. Using 2 Plainview batteries, you get about 21v.

Also, if you don't have the adapter, Headsave can add it for free too. I personally think it's better to buy the adapter and leave it out of the amp so you can use the amp for more than just the ER-4Ps. This applies on the fixup amp too.

Oct 11, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 12
a bit OT, but can the super mini/micro power an akg 501?

EDIT: ok started a new thread on this here

Oct 11, 2003 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 12
markkr: Haven't directly compared the two (yet). But have compared previous versions of SuperMini to the CHA. Fortunately, I like both. Will likely keep the CHA just because it's nifty looking and was my first headamp. But, I never listen to it anymore. The differences in sound between previous versions of SuperMini and the CHA were not that great (to my ears) and the battery life was much better for SuperMini. So, stopped listening to the CHA regularly.

I got sorta soured after being away on a business trip, getting home late from a long day of meetings, fully expecting to chill out with some tunes, only to find that the battery was dead in the CHA and that my spare had been used (on the plane) and I'd not had a chance to replace it. Gaaaahhh! Very frustrating!

The battery life on the SuperMini is such that it's much less likely to leave me juiceless. And, the current version of the SuperMini sounds noticably better than previous versions (V4 was the most recent SM I'd heard previously).

Obviously, everyone has different priorities. It's up to you to choose what's most important as you narrow down your choices. Battery life is a biggie for me. Portability is a biggie. Would have to hear a pretty big difference in sound quality for me to switch over to an amp that was larger and had shorter battery life. But, that's me.

I've heard METAs with Etys and really enjoy the sound. Have been veeerrryyy tempted to either build one myself or just get one made by someone who knows (better) what they're doing.

Good luck! I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these amps.

Bruce

Oct 11, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks BDA_ABAT. That was the kind of feedback that I was looking for.

One other thing, how do your ksc35's sound with the "P" to "S" adapter? I cant decide if I want that built into the amp or not.

Oct 11, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Was just listening to the combo (KSC35 into the SuperMini w/additional resistance). It's a subtle change but noticable. One that works fine for me. If you're at all nervous about the sound, by all means get the adapter. That way you can customize the sound yourself. I also have a Xin-made P-to-S adapter cable that I use when lisening to my home amp and have had good success with his adaptations of Radio Shack cables.

Good luck! And, post impressions once you've had a chance to listen for a while.

Bruce

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 12
Hey, I got the exact same system, SuperMini V6, Ety ER4P and 15G iPod, and I absolutely love it. I also run WAV file on the ipod. My wife has listen to my rig and she want a SuperMini too. I'm going to check out Xin's new micro amp I think.

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey gregroe

Do you use the "p" to "s" adapter for the Ety's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back