Help with Improving my Setup
May 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Centropolis

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I want to say that my equipment is not high-end. I just couldn't find a more fitting forum section to ask my questions. It's non-headphones and non-portable equipment related so I am thinking this is the one that fits.

I am moving next year and thinking of upgrading my system one-piece at a time for the next few months. I want opinions on what to do first to make the most impact on improving my sound. I know sound is subjective but just general comments would be great.

My current setup:
- CD player digital out and Bluetooth receiver with digital out, both connected to Cambridge Audio DAC Magic
- DAC Magic goes into NAD C320 BEE amp
- NAD C320 BEE to Monitor Audio Bronze BX5

Let's say I have $2,000 to spend on upgrading the system (don't laugh :)), should I spent all of it on speakers? Or is my amp the weakest link right now? WHat would you do?

May 11, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 5
How do you have your speakers placed in your room?

How big is your listening space?

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

Is there any part of the frequency response that you wish you could fix?

May 11, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 5
How do you have your speakers placed in your room?

How big is your listening space?

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

Is there any part of the frequency response that you wish you could fix?
12 feet x 18 feet in the master bedroom and they are on one side of the shorter wall about 2 feet from the wall.

Music I listen to is quite wide range, Beatles, Norah Jones, Radiohead, Jazz, Classical.

Nothing in particular I feel it;s missing from a freq response sense but just want general improvements in sound.

May 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Amp, dump everything in an integrated that you can demo. Prior used TOTL integrated would be even better.

I had that NAD back in the days and going from that to Ayre integrated and then to separates was an eye opening experience. Good luck.

May 11, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 5
You might want to consider replacing the Bluetooth receiver with a streamer capable of UPnP / DLNA, if you find yourself using that often. Bluetooth employs lossy compression, so it's not ideal if you're using a lossless service like Qobuz. Currently my DAC is hooked up to a Raspberry PI 3 B+ w/ moOde and I stream from my Android phone with BubbleUPnP.

One component you may want to add to your current setup is a subwoofer. Large symphonic works and rock music have sub-bass frequencies that go missing even with floorstanding speakers that reach fairly low as yours do. The sub would be looped in between the pre out and main in connections on your amp.

If you see the soft clipping light illuminating on your C320 BEE while playing music, that's a sign that you need a more powerful amp.

Otherwise, it seems you're fairly content with what you have. Any major equipment change (e.g. tube amp instead of solid state, new speakers) might net you a different sound, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

If you're set on making a change, though, I would start with speakers. My suggestion is to begin your search for models that have good spinorama measurements. This website has collected measurements for a bunch of different types of speakers at different prices - Spinorama gallery. The 'Help' section contains a good primer to understanding the measurements and how to make use of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back