Help with illogical decision: ER6i vs. DT440
Jun 10, 2005 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
I'm buying a set of cans for business travel. I will use them on short flights, in my hotel room and a little walking around. At home I listen to, and LOVE sr225s, but I feel like they dont travel particularly well. At home, on the go i listen to Portapros.
I have a PA2v2 portable amp ordered and on the way and I am choosing between the ety ER6i, and the beyer DT440. I've wanted the DT440s for a while because they are so easy to drive and FUN (and at least they fold up a little bit). I like the ER6i because they seem so darn practical for me traveling.

I have found both sets (1 used) for about 90 bucks.

Which should I buy, or should I just travel with the SR225s or portapros.
my music choices: Jazz, blues, funk, live shows.
My considerations, I think the sr225s are too open for travel, are the DT440s?
I will be listening to an Ipod, with or without pocket amp
I like a fun sound, which I hear is the benefit of the DT440.
the ER6i sure are smaller and more portable, but I've wanted the less practical DT440s for a while...

HELP ME...
all input is appreciated, both the logical kind and the less logical kind.

thanks,
eggosmile.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 7
If you are going to use them on long flights canalphones is you best bet. I don't know how the Beyer isolate but I suppose that are comparable to the ATH900 in that respect. Well, I tried to use the ATs on a flight a couple of times and isolation was not enough. I had to crank up the volume to insane levels in order to be able to appreciate the music. Not good for you ears.

Forget the Grados and Buyers. I like my MS2i and the ATs but for flight and traveling the Etys are my best friend.

Small, excellent isolation and decent sound. I'd vote for the etys.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the feedback. I will be listening more away than on flights...
here's a question about the ety's
is there a lot of upkeep-type costs?

I read about buying filters and changing filters. and buying new ear flanges. sounds a little like a pain in the butt. is this really necessary?

thanks!

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 7
bump for want to buy tomorrow so want more feedback!

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Im VERY happy with the ER-6i's.

They might even isolate too much (I wont hear someone shouting behind me with slightly loud music on).

I dont know anything about the DT440 so I cannot say which one is better, but I must admit that the sound of the ER-6i suits me well. Its very detailed and clear.

The ER-6i's don't sound fun in that sense, they are more sterile and 'real', accurate if you like. They don't have much warmth unless the songs already have the warmth recorded.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 7
i have the ER6is and they are FANTASTIC for travel!

i can hear very clearly delicate chopin etudes (ie: actually hear each note, and not just the melody) while seated close to the jet engine.

mind you, if you need to listen to the safety escape instructions with them on, you might want to consider lip reading lessons.
600smile.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 7
thekid22: I don't think you'd be very happy with the DT440 for travel/portable application - mainly, 'cause it hardly provides any isolation, but it's not too comfy either... I'd suggest to try the Creative HQ-1700/Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 instead. (Sorry, can't comment on Etys - haven't tried any of these yet...)

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back