Help with iem's!
Oct 31, 2017 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Vargr

New Head-Fier
To start off, thanks in advance for any help that I get.

For the past two weeks I have been reading and reading and reading but I am still at a loss for what I need to purchase in order to get what I am looking for.

The only high end headphones I own are a pair of hd650's that I use with my smartphone and a cheap fiio dac I have. I've been happy with this set up since I am listening to less than stellar audio sources.

However I am finding myself listening to music more and more as I work and am ready to move up in the audio world.

I am looking for a set of iem's. So far I have focused most of my attention on the campfire audio Vega and Andromeda. But that is about as far as I have got. There is literally so much online about pairing these with different sources, daps, and dacs. In truth, it's all been a little overwhelming. (before I continue, I have tried looking for a place near me to try high end headphones but can't seem to find a place, so all of my assumptions are based off what I have read from others)

I was drawn to the descriptions of the andromedas sound, but became weary after reading so much about the hiss. The Vegas, in my understanding, have more bass than the andromedas and are easier to pair.

My budget for the whole set up is around 2000 usd. I can go a little higher if need be but would like to stay around there.

My first thought was to purchase a new generation of iPod touch and pair it with something like the HiFi-skyn. What drew me to the iPod touch is, since I don't have a large library of flac files or loseless audio, the iPod would allow me to stream from a source such as tidal. However, I couldn't find any info on this particular combo with the andromedas so I didn't know how the hiss would be.

Then I read numerous people exclaiming that the Vegas or andromedas with the chord mojo was a perfect match, but I don't know how this combo would work with the iPod.

If I don't go with something like an iPod or dap that has WiFi, I will also probably need some help on where to get good quality files to out on said player.

So, after this long winded post, what I am asking for is for some suggestions of player and dac/amp to go with either of the iem's mentioned. I am also open to other iem suggestions. I am by no means married to getting the Vegas or andromedas, they just seemed to be very well liked and of good quality.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If you have some component suggestions, please add and other tidbits I would need (such as cables or adapters), because as I said, this world is new to me.

Thank you all once again. I am greatly looking forward to learning as much as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back