Help with HP's AKG K240/2's MKII or ATH AD700's or Sennheiser HD598 (PC Gaming)
Jun 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

motorwayne

100+ Head-Fier
G'day, I'm looking to replace pair of Sennheiser PC360's as they are too tight for my head and get uncomfortable after 30 mins.

Just purchased an Asus Xonar Phoebus sound card and want head phones for general gaming.

I play ME3, BF3, Sniper elite, Deus EX type games.

All these cans fit my budget.

Thoughts appreciated

Motorwayne
P.S 1st post, thanks heaps

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 11
HD598 has the same exact fit and clamp as the PC360.

AD700's fit very loosely to the point where you'll be doing a balancing act just to keep them from not sliding off. Doing the rubber band mod makes them fit more secure, but ruins any chance of comfort.

Pick your poison. haven't heard the K240's...

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Apparently the 240's are the earlier version of the current AKG K242 HD's..

Interesting, I read you massive review about a dozen times and have been trying to get a handle on things....

I started heading towards the ATH AD700's but for the apparent lack of bass which scares me off a bit, quite funny really as this was probably driven by the PC360's acting like a clamp, and the 700's felt like a dream after that :).

Some of the recommendations you suggest look good/great, but they're just mad in price terms here in New Zealand, the audiophile shops are robbers :)

Large air cups, good sound stage and I want to feel the explosions...what do you think?

Cheers

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Apparently the 240's are the earlier version of the current AKG K242 HD's..
Interesting, I read you massive review about a dozen times and have been trying to get a handle on things....
I started heading towards the ATH AD700's but for the apparent lack of bass which scares me off a bit, quite funny really as this was probably driven by the PC360's acting like a clamp, and the 700's felt like a dream after that :).
Some of the recommendations you suggest look good/great, but they're just mad in price terms here in New Zealand, the audiophile shops are robbers :)
Large air cups, good sound stage and I want to feel the explosions...what do you think?

I believe the HD242HD come out after the original K240 (55-Ohm) come out.
The AKG K240s originally came out a long time ago.
The ATH-AD700 lack of any real bass is a turn off, good for FPS, or want to watch TV (vocals) or relax and listen to mellow music.
I do like the sound of my K242HD, not sure if there is any real differences between it and the K240 Studio (55-Ohm).
You can get new K242HDs from Thomann in Germany, total with shipping is 180.00 (NZD)
The Superlux HD668B (with AKG Velour ear pads) you could get for 110.00 (NZD)
The HD668B is a Tawian knock off of the K240.
My be you can find a good deal locally on some used K240s?

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks PurpleAngel..

Went hunting for the AKG K240 MKII's and found them on Amazon..I have a friend in the US and can land them here for around $188.00...Man am I looking forward to that. Best local price is $399.00

I'm running the Xonar Phoebus which is similar to the STX...what do you think about an AMP after the card?

Cheers

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 11
It has this mini - TOSLINK (optical S/PDIF) to TOSLINK adapter that comes with it.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Went hunting for the AKG K240 MKII's and found them on Amazon..I have a friend in the US and can land them here for around $188.00...Man am I looking forward to that. Best local price is $399.00
I'm running the Xonar Phoebus which is similar to the STX...what do you think about an AMP after the card?

The Phoebus uses the same headphone amplifier chip as the STX & ST.
Asus claims the Phoebus has less "noise" and a cleaner signal then the STX & ST.

I keep thinking it might be better to "widen" the space on the PC360s.
I'm guessing(?) the AKG K240 are not the equals of the PC360s for gaming.

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The Phoebus uses the same headphone amplifier chip as the STX & ST.
Asus claims the Phoebus has less "noise" and a cleaner signal then the STX & ST.

I keep thinking it might be better to "widen" the space on the PC360s.
I'm guessing(?) the AKG K240 are not the equals of the PC360s for gaming.

You have the 242's listed in your sig...what do you think of them? The 240's are essentially the same thing aren't they?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
You have the 242's listed in your sig...what do you think of them? The 240's are essentially the same thing aren't they?

I believe the K240 & K242HD are the same. I was able to get my K242HD for $115.
For the price paid I'm very happy with them.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Update

First setup:

Asus Xonar Essence STX matched to Sennheiser PC360 Headphones.
--------------------------------------------------------
Second setup:
Asus Xonar Phoebus matched to Sennheiser PC360 Headphones = Clearer sounds and more of them. Dolby 4.0 Amazing.
--------------------------------------------------------
New Setup:
Asus Xonar Phoebus matched to AKG 240K MKII Headphones.

Just received a pair of AKG 240MKII's and plugged them into a Xonar Phoebus..Set with just Dolby 4.0/ No effects.

These babies rock the socks off my previous Sennheiser PC360's...no competition.

The Bangs have huge attack and THUMP, weapons CRACK is a good hard sound, Directional sound exceptional.

BF3 = Amazing

Note:
The Xonar Phoebus slays the Essence STX..there has been alot of talk that these two cards are similar..think again...night and day for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back