Help with headphones for jazz/blues/classic rock-budget under $150
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ruleof72

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Brand new member here and looking for some advice on headphones to replace my nearly 20yr old Sony MDR-V600's, which are kind of beat up. I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more listening thru headphones so I'd like to upgrade the sound quality.

I listen mostly to jazz/blues/classic rock at low to moderate volumes. My amp is a Cambridge Audio azur 540A. I'm looking for something that has "faithful" sound reproduction without a lot of added emphasis, especially in the bass. My regular speakers are Hawthorne Audio Duet's (open baffle) if that helps to give you an idea of the kind of sound I prefer.

Budget is under $150. Shopping for headphones is brand new to me so any help you can give me in narrowing the field would be most appreciated!

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I was more or less looking for something like that but with me it's classical and opera and jazz. Sony's zx700 looked good on paper, couldn't find them in any shops though. KRK's kns 6400 I tried and was impressed with the sound quality considering the price. Not enough isolation for me. I tried the Shure 840 as well. Bit more emphasis on the lows but in a warm and well defined way which should also work with your tastes.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 7
I listen to similar genres and I'm considering the krk 8400 and the shures as well. If only I could audition them first! k240's are good for those genres, but somewhat overdone in the lows for my taste. If you don't mind using some minor eq in the upper/mid bass, they're very good value. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, that's a problem. You read about all sorts of wonderful kit on this board but try finding it in a real shop!

I think if you can get the 8400 in this price range you could do far worse.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 7
It's been over a year but I thought I would bump this thread back up to the top since I'm still looking for the same basic headphone. I got temporarily distracted with life but now I'm back to wanting to upgrade my listening with some new headphones to replace my (now even older) Sony MDR-V600's.

Nothing has changed in my music listening and the budget is still the same.

What are some current suggestions? Are the KRK 8400's still a good choice or has something else replaced them?
Quote:
Hi all,

Brand new member here and looking for some advice on headphones to replace my nearly 20yr old Sony MDR-V600's, which are kind of beat up. I'm finding that I'm doing a lot more listening thru headphones so I'd like to upgrade the sound quality.

I listen mostly to jazz/blues/classic rock at low to moderate volumes. My amp is a Cambridge Audio azur 540A. I'm looking for something that has "faithful" sound reproduction without a lot of added emphasis, especially in the bass. My regular speakers are Hawthorne Audio Duet's (open baffle) if that helps to give you an idea of the kind of sound I prefer.

Budget is under $150. Shopping for headphones is brand new to me so any help you can give me in narrowing the field would be most appreciated!

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Hi all,

Heya,

Look into:

Brainwavz HM5
AKG K271 MKII
AKG K240 MKII
Shure SRH840
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back