Help with Headphones around $100 (but preferebly less)
Nov 27, 2008 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chipahoy

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm in the market for a new pair of headphones. The current pair i have are AKG 414p's. I've always had problems with the wiring somewhere as I'll lose the connection to one ear after about 3 or 4 months of daily use. Luckily, there is the 2 year warranty on these cans, and Bay-Bloor radio in Toronto happily replaces them for me so I've gone through about 4 different pairs.

Anywho, apparently AKG is discontinuing these headphones and apparently the replacements will be significantly more expensive, and i will probably just get my money back from the warranty, so thus I am in the market for a new set of phones. I absolutely love the sound from the 414p's, so I'm looking for an new pair of headphones with the big, punchy bottom end and overall the really dynamic sound that those phones had. I do not mind if the treble is rolled off a bit. I mostly listen to alot of punk, metal and hardcore music (so for me bass is really important for the "chugga-chugga" moments). I also mostly use these headphones with my discman (i think i'm the only person in the world that still uses them!) while on the go, so I need good sound without an amp. I've been hearing tons of great stuff about Grado's adn the sr-60 is right in my price range adn would even be willing to shell out the extra cash to get the sr-80's if it is worth it.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 7
Your AKG 414's are actually the new model number of the AKG k26. A step up from these with a similar sound signature would be AKG k81dj's Another headphone to consider would be Equation RP21's. If you don't mind phones with no isolation and that leak sound, Sennheiser PX-100's are bassy.
Since you're in Toronto, you could look in any Factory Direct Computer Warehouse. They sell the JBL410's for $25. These are a rebranded AKG K26 with a different headband.
Grados have a different balance than the AKG's and you would find them very bass light.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Ultimate ears super.fi 3, check them out. you can switch the cable.

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 7
I just got custom 3 from klipsch, and if custom 1 is made the same way, get the custom 1 for 100 bucks, they are just so comfortable. I love them so far, have been using them for two days. Found my seal easily. And plenty of bass.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 7
X2 for the Denon 1001

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back