help with headphone: Sony MDR-210
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FireDragon76

New Head-Fier
I got some replacement foam pads from Amazon today, and I put them on some old headphones I had lying around just to test them out. I put the headphones on just for kicks and listened to some music with them and I was shocked by what I was hearing . Music sounded great through them. I thought these were just junker headphones, so it surprised me. They've been on a shelf unused for years, and I always assumed them were little better than those free headphones you got with tape players and CD players decades ago. I think I bought them back in the 90's. I used them on my Playstationa few times.

Can anybody tell me more about them? I tried to find information about them but all I found was "Sony Acoustic Twin Turbo Circuit", whatever that means. The bass is not really low but its adequate for "musical" bass. They also seem to have a very pleasant, warm sound, with a wide soundstage. I don't know if the pads are doing it, or that's just the way the headphones sounded originally.

The only other open on-ear headphones I've been using recently are small Panasonics I use for gaming (I think HT21?), and while they do have more bass, they are highly colored in a way that is not as pleasant as the Sony MDR-210.

Nov 18, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 2
Having spent more time with this headphone, they sound amazing considering their modest price back in 1995 or so when I bought them. They are nothing like the cheap Sony on-ear headphones you get now.

I tried these out on my wife's Schitt hybrid tube amp and she really liked the sound- in some ways the soundstage was better than her Status CB-1's. She's convinced now that the cost of a headphone doesn't have much to do with the sound quality.

I was considering getting some Grado sr60's but I think I will just stick with these old headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back