Help with Headphone purchase.
Jan 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Smin

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones.  Currently I am using some in ear Dre Beats (I know, I know...) but am wanting something with cleaner sound.  What I am mainly looking for are over the ear headphones to use at the gym and work.  I am looking to spend around $200-$250 but at BestBuy (I have some store credit that I would like to use there).  The kind of music I listen to is stuff like remix (Jump Smokers as an example), alternative and some hip hop.

Some of the ones i've been considering are (and in no particular order):

Sony MDR10RNC
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/over-the-ear-headphones/1907028.p?id=1219067161323&skuId=1907028&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=4&lp=5

Sennheiser HD 598
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/over-the-ear-headphones/1700568.p?id=1218285361133&skuId=1700568&st=categoryid$pcmcat143000050011&cp=4&lp=11#tab=buyingOptions

These occasionally go on sale and have been thinking about holding out for them but I hear they are bass heavy:

V-Moda Crossfade M100
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/crossfade-m-100-over-the-ear-headphones/1636825.p?id=1219058299172&skuId=1636825&st=V%20Moda&cp=1&lp=2

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm kinda too lazy to search through bestbuy's stock, but be sure you know the difference between open and closed headphones. The sennheisers are open, has a really long cable, and terminates to a 1/4 inch plug, so I don't recommend them for portable use and especially not for the gym. Open headphones leak sound so people will hear what you're listening to and they don't isolate from outside noises.

And yes, the vmodas are bass heavy. I can't comment about the Sony's though, never heard them.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm kinda too lazy to search through bestbuy's stock, but be sure you know the difference between open and closed headphones. The sennheisers are open, has a really long cable, and terminates to a 1/4 inch plug, so I don't recommend them for portable use and especially not for the gym. Open headphones leak sound so people will hear what you're listening to and they don't isolate from outside noises.

And yes, the vmodas are bass heavy. I can't comment about the Sony's though, never heard them.

Thanks. I'll make sure to check the plugs. And yeah I don't mean to make this work for anyone so sorry about that.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I know best buy sells the over-ear sennheiser momentums. They sound pretty good to me - for the money, they're a good all-around performer with solid bass response. They're also pretty light and comfortable - perfect for portable use. Plus you get to choose what color you want.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 6
the m100 will suit the genre you seem to be looking for well.

Sony mdr 1r is a good option. Its a lot more balanced sounding than the m100 and has a more relaxed sound. A super comfortable headphone i rly like recommending to people. It has slightly better build quality than the MDR10NC. I really dont know why, just more sturdy. And ofc it doesnt have the NC feature

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Best Buy's website sells the Beyerdynamic T51p (through worldwide stereo I believe). They are compact, isolate some external noise and most importantly sound great for on ears. I use the Beyers at the gym plugged directly into my iPod Classic or iPhone 5s playing ALAC files or streaming iTunes Match. They retail for around $290 which might be a little more than you want to spend. Oh and for me the T51p is very comfortable and leaks very little if any noise which would be good for a workplace setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back