Help with Headphone identification (old Senn)
May 3, 2006 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Steril

New Head-Fier
Hello, i just found back my good old sennheiser headphone which I thought I had lost.

What a happy surprise : i really find it is an excellent heaphone.

Just for curiosity, I would like to find back the exact reference of this model.

I just remember it existed in two versions : one with red earcups (the "regular" version) and one with grey earcups (the "classical" or "classic" version, which I own).

Were these considered good heaphones at their times ?

I cant find any info about them.

Here is a picture, so maybe you can help me :

A1639.JPG

G_702_03.JPG

Thanx !

May 4, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Okay, with the help of cmoy from headwize, i identified them as Sennheiser HD 480 II.

I'm quite surprised those headphones haven't more positive critics, because I find them very good sounding and comfortabloe for their category... and, they're very very solid !

May 5, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Those old HD4xx models tended to be fairly good allrounders - they're just, well, old and were never really considered high-end. I like my yet older HD420SLs quite a bit, too. These are fairly balanced overall, if a tad weak in the bass. At 600 ohms and modest sensitivity, they are fairly hard to drive, which makes a perfect match for my bedside-fi setup due reasons related to volume pot channel imbalance issues and high input levels.
There were both the regular HD480 as well as the HD480 Classic (600 ohm I think), and later there was a HD480 II (regular and Classic), too. You can still find a manual for the high-impedance -13 versions of the latter (search for "hd 450/480-13/UK pdf"). Which of the two generations you have can be determined if you still know when approximately you bought these - I would expect IIs not to have appeared before early 1992. Also, if you've got an ohmmeter (a cheapo $10 3-1/2 digit multimeter will do fine) the HD480 II apparently has an impedance of 52 ohms, a Classic II should have 100 ohms. http://headphones.warzone.org/ lists 60 ohms so that might apply to the old HD480. I cannot tell any cosmetic difference except for the lettering, which is completely rubbed off on your sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back